From:
rosa olshevsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 11:45:23 -0800

I'm really glad I posted this message to the group and
didn't try to make my own conclusions.

I've received 32 responses.  Most of them are from
people who haven't been diagnosed, so this summary
doesn't reflect the whole group opinion.

Most people told they are not sorry they never been
diagnosed.  None had troubles getting gf meals in a
hospital or gf drugs, but some had problems with
getting additional tests like bone density test at age
of 40, etc.  Some people tell they are sorry because
they have a slight doubt their own diagnoses is
correct, especially after some time on a gf diet when
their condition improves (and they forget the pain ;)
).  Some tell it's absolutely necessary to be
diagnosed if you have different types of food
allergies or the same symptoms can be of different
reasons. Some parents feel they need an exact
diagnosis since they can not take responsibility to
impose a gf lifestyle to their kids without it. A
number of people brought an argument I'd never thought
about: having the 'celiac disease' in your med.
record can increase the price of life, medical and
disability insurance. Also some insurance companies
will consider 'celiac' as a pre-existing condition and
will not pay for any related expenses.

My own feelings after reading all these: I'll wait
until better tests are available.

I'm attaching only a few typical responses here.

Thank you very much, I really appreciated every reply!
If you tell the pharmacy that you are 'allergic' to
wheat, oats, barley, and rye you will have a much better
chance of getting gf medications.  My son's pediatrician
points out that a 'formal' diagnosis - at least in the
US - opens no doors to medications or services.  In
fact, some insurance companies may consider it to be a
'pre-existing condition' and refuse to cover 'celiac
related' expenses (if you were to change coverage in the
future).
in six years I've never been in a situation that make
sorry I hadn't been diagnosed.  But I'm pleased that I
haven't when I go to get insurance and don't have to
tell them I have a preexisting condition.
First there are actually reasons not to be diagnosed,
for instance insurance may be more difficult to get as
celiacs have higher chance of cancer.  Simple gluten
intolerance means you need gf drugs.  I personally would
not try again to be diagnosed.
You have to remember that the diet is a life-long
commitment, and nothing that is life-long should be
undertaken if any stones are left unturned.  I would get
the biopsy done as soon as possible, and try to eat some
gluten until it is done.  These are my personal
opinions, everyone is different, but this is what I
would most definately do.