From:
Rose Mary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 07:58:59 -0500

This testing, over 99% accurate for the diagnosis of celiac disease, is
available as part of the research project of the University of Maryland
under the supervision of Dr. Horvath and Dr. Fasano.  To get information
about individual or group testing, check their website at
www.celiaccenter.org.  The actual testing (believe it or not) is FREE.  Your
only expense will be the fee for blood drawing and refrigerated
shipping -and some of this may be covered by insurance.  Groups who can get
volunteer nurses or lab techs can even avoid this small fee.

All of the details are on this website.  The testing is for diagnosed
celiacs as well as those who are symptomatic (and haven't been biopsy
diagnosed) and first and second degree relatives.

My daughter and several of our group members took part in the blood
screening test sponsored by the Louisville Chapter of the CSA.  The testing
procedure is the same as any simple blood test - the "tissue
transglutaminase" refers to the way the researchers test the blood on
tissue -they don't take any from you.  I thought maybe that might clarify
the idea a bit more.  Last week Virginia Frisbee, president of that chapter,
posted info about their $10 video from the seminar.  I just received mine
and it is excellent.  We plan to use it at our resource unit meeting today
to help educate a dietitian.

This will be a 5 year study.  They are hoping to test 45,000 people and
predict that there will be a prevalence of at least 1:300 people with CD/DH.
Imagine what that will mean for us -as the web site says -gf Big Mac's and
no-fear restaurant dining.  It could also mean a huge decrease in
endoscopies, earlier diagnosis of children, and a much healthier celiac
population.  The FUTURE is HERE.  Please check out this site.

This project has some funding, but donations are needed and welcome.  Help
us spread the word.

Rose Mary in W. Ky.