From:
Stephen Bean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 17:12:12 -0500

All:

        As usual, the list has been a tremendous help, but frankly, I'm still
coming up a little short.  I had twelve private responses to my query about
a flu like, joint soreness after using a hot tub.

        Unfortunately, nobody told me I could go back to kissing my gluten
infested wife, but several told me to get rid of the tub, with which my
wife would go also.

        Seriously, two others indicated similar experiences.  One indicated
the soreness for one day after a party and wrote it off to catching a bug
from the party goers.  Another referred to extended swimming sessions and
soreness.  Also one indicated unusual fatigue while swimming in a pool as
opposed to fresh or sea water.

        Several people suggested epsom salts baths instead of hot tub, while
one indicated adverse effects to that.

        Most everyone agreed there was some logic to the suspicion (everyone
agreed I wasn't nuts), a point my wife and I continue to debate.  One very
logical response was that my muscles were responding to the years of poor
nutrition tot he additional stimulation.

        I was sort of hoping to hear from someone who owned and used a hot
tub on a regular basis with or without adverse effects.  One person did
mention DH response to the bromine, which would be logical, but not the case
here.

        It appears I will end up sacrificing myself and try it again in a
controlled setting, unless I can hear from some of you medical or chemist
types.

        I can certainly live without my hot tub, but hate to.  It is
therapeutic, but it's also just plain fun.  Still hoping for answers.  Thank
you all for your help and encouragement.

Steve Bean
ICQ-UIN #981815
Kansas City, MO
USA