From:
Joy Farley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 07:44:48 EDT

Last month I asked for advice on cocktail sauce.  I received suggestions to
use delMonte or Heinz brands, since they are both GF.  I easily found Heinz
locally and my son used it on our vacation without incident.  When I told a
listmate that we used Heinz, she said that to her knowledge Heinz is not GF.
I called the company and indeed they said that they can not say that it is GF
as the vinegar used in the cocktail sauce is obtained from an outside source.
(All of their ketchup is made from vinegar derived from corn.)  The very nice,
informed representative did say that the cocktail sauce contained distilled
vinegar.  In the past this listserv has had much discussion on the distilling
process and whether this renders a product GF.

Well, all I know is that my son did not react to the sauce, and he reacts to
very small amounts.  Had I known the sauce was not gf, I wouldn't given it to
him.  On the other hand, maybe this was an experiment with distilled vinegar.

You choose...Joy [log in to unmask]