Date:
Sat, 3 Dec 2005 15:41:36 -0800

Thanks to all who replied!  It seems the overwhelming majority vote is a resounding YES.  Symptoms of loss of coordination and emotional upset are common.

I was given quite a few helpful personal anecdotes which I also summarized and can forward (names withheld of course) to anyone who thinks they might benefit from them.  Just email me and I'll forward to each request individually as it is quite lengthy.

Some other suggestions were to look into a possible yeast infection, thyroid condition and to get checked out by an md.

Many people offered explanations such as peripheral neuropathy and gluten ataxia and offered websites to look them up which I will offer here:

Gluten site:  http://www.vaccinetruth.org/gluten.htm

Brain Talk forum for Gluten Sensitivity and other, "non" typical symptoms::
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Archives post may help you understand it and what a complex condition gluten intolerance/celiac is     http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?A2=ind0508D&L=celiac&P=R3678

Also http://www.glutenfreecanada.com/autoimmune/stories/mentalsymptoms.html

www.celiac.com will give you lots of information.

And finally www.pubmed.com which was forwarded in completion so I will add it here:
1: Brain. 2003 Mar;126(Pt 3):685-91. Related Articles, Links

Gluten ataxia in perspective: epidemiology, genetic susceptibility and clinical characteristics.

Hadjivassiliou M, Grunewald R, Sharrack B, Sanders D, Lobo A, Williamson C, Woodroofe N, Wood N, Davies-Jones A.

Department of Neurology, The Royal Hallamshire Hospital, Sheffield, UK. [log in to unmask]

We previously have described a group of patients with gluten sensitivity presenting with ataxia (gluten ataxia) and suggested that this disease entity may account for a large number of patients with sporadic idiopathic ataxia. We have therefore investigated the prevalence of gluten sensitivity amongst a large cohort of patients with sporadic and familial ataxia and looked at possible genetic predisposition to gluten sensitivity amongst these groups. Two hundred and twenty-four patients with various causes of ataxia from North Trent (59 familial and/or positive testing for spinocerebellar ataxias 1, 2, 3, 6 and 7, and Friedreich's ataxia, 132 sporadic idiopathic and 33 clinically probable cerebellar variant of multiple system atrophy MSA-C) and 44 patients with sporadic idiopathic ataxia from The Institute of Neurology, London, were screened for the presence of antigliadin antibodies. A total of 1200 volunteers were screened as normal controls. The prevalence of antigliadin antibodies in the familial group was eight out of 59 (14%), 54 out of 132 (41%) in the sporadic idiopathic group, five out of 33 (15%) in the MSA-C group and 149 out of 1200 (12%) in the normal controls. The prevalence in the sporadic idiopathic group from London was 14 out of 44 (32%). The difference in prevalence between the idiopathic sporadic groups and the other groups was highly significant (P < 0.0001 and P < 0.003, respectively). The clinical characteristics of 68 patients with gluten ataxia were as follows: the mean age at onset of the ataxia was 48 years (range 14-81 years) with a mean duration of the ataxia of 9.7 years (range 1-40 years). Ocular signs were observed in 84% and dysarthria in 66%. Upper limb ataxia was evident in 75%, lower limb ataxia in 90% and gait ataxia in 100% of patients. Gastrointestinal symptoms were present in only 13%. MRI revealed atrophy of the cerebellum in 79% and white matter hyperintensities in 19%. Forty-five percent of patients had neurophysiological evidence of a sensorimotor axonal neuropathy. Gluten-sensitive enteropathy was found in 24%. HLA DQ2 was present in 72% of patients. Gluten ataxia is therefore the single most common cause of sporadic idiopathic ataxia. Antigliadin antibody testing is essential at first presentation of patients with sporadic ataxia.

PMID: 12566288 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12566288&dopt=Abstract

Thanks again for all your efforts!!!
Carolyn