From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Dec 1997 10:09:09 -0700

Hi All,
There was a posting on Thursday, under this thread, in which the author
indicated that a celiac who does not follow the diet has no greater risk of
malignancy. I had hoped that the author would come forward to correct that
statement, but I have missed it if such a message did appear.

There is a much greater risk of malignancy among untreated celiacs,
especially for lymphoma and intestinal adenocarcinoma. I don't think we
should focus on that, but we should be aware of it as one of a set of
reasons for life-long compliance with the diet, and to encourage first
degree relatives to be tested for celiac disease.

As many of you know, my brother was diagnosed with lymphoma 8 months
following my diagnosis of celiac disease. I didn't know about the increased
risk. Nor did I know about the importance of testing all first degree
relatives, and all symptomatic second degree relatives.

My brother died last year. I have often wondered what might have happened
if my gastro had requested that all my first degree relatives visit him and
be tested for celiac. My brother might still be alive and well today. We
would probably be arguing about politics, or philosophy, never guessing how
close he had come to an untimely end.

In my opinion, his death is the direct result of the widespread ignorance
of celiac disease and its increased propensity to develop malignancy when
left untreated. My quest is to correct some of that problem, so preventable
deaths like my brother's may sometimes be avoided.

I hope this is helpful.
best wishes,
Ron Hoggan