From:
Chuck Bolz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 19:40:58 -0800

Fran reports "My problem is that family members seem bent on
contacting me & telling me how "easy" this is- that it is
'just dietary' changes."   She also says she has diabetes
and is learning to deal with two diseases, apparently with
not too much support from family members.

I empathize.  I've had epilepsy for more than 40 years, and
was diagnosed with CD 18 months ago.  I've found that both
conditions are greatly misunderstood.  When I was a child
my father and others would downplay my epilepsy, stating
that they had seen others with worse seizures, and besides,
all I had to do was pop a few pills every day.  (???)
Now I get similar comments about my dietary requirements.

However I feel lucky.  Some years ago I met a blind man who
told me he'd rather be blind than have epilepsy.  Later he
developed epilepsy.  He decided that was easier to deal with
than being blind, because the life style changes were far
less severe.

Both my disabilities have required substantial life style
changes, which included learning to deal with those who are
afraid of the diseases and therefore belittle them.  I just
adjust because I have to, and try to ignore the "well-meaning"
friends and relatives who tell me how easy I have it.  I
decided long ago to just dismiss their remarks, because
they can't possibly know what they're talking about.

Sorry to ramble on, but Fran brings up an important topic
which affects many of us on this list.

Chuck Bolz
Beaverton, OR