Date:
Sat, 29 Sep 2007 16:29:33 -0600

Hi All--

For the past 6 or 7 years I've been in the celiac-not celiac loop that those
of us who didn't get a definite diagnosis go through. Now that there is more
research/talk about non celiac gluten sensitivity, I have a couple of
questions for anyone who can offer me information or even seeds for thought.

My two celiac blood panels and two biopsies were negative 7 years ago. We
should assume for the sake of this post that all was done properly as in the
doctor knew what he was doing and the lab knew what to look for - I was on a
gluten laden diet at the time of testing, so that's not an issue. Since
being on this list almost 10 years (or longer), I've never read that anyone
experiences the symptoms I have when ingesting gluten - which most likely
would also be wheat. Exactly 3 hours following gluten/wheat ingestion, I
have severe upper right quadrant abdominal pain, nausea, sometimes vomiting
and spiking liver enzymes 10 times higher than normal. No diarrhea.

Questions:
1.  Is there evidence of liver involvement/association in people who have
non celiac gluten sensitivity?
2.  Is non celiac gluten sensitivity different than an allergy that would
show up on an allergy skin prick test for wheat? (I'm assuming that there is
still no allergy test for gluten by itself)
3.  What is the significance of a delayed reaction to a skin prick test -
say, 6 to 8 hours later, large, raised wheals appear?
4. What impact does a food sensitivity have on the immune system?

For those of you who have had success with food allergy testing through
various labs, this is not the information I'm seeking. I don't have the
money to do this - and my understanding is that food sensitivities don't
show up like allergies do on traditional testing anyway.

I'll be glad to summarize...Thanks. ~~Ayn in Alabama