From:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dawn Dutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 22:04:53 -0400

I received several messages concerning cross-contamination at Subway
restaurants.  The two most informative messages are below.  Based on
these messages, I won’t be eating at Subway…

Dawn @ the Jersey Shore
**************

1st MESSAGE:
"I got your email from my mom who has celiac disease...I'm do not have
the disease but being 17 and living with my moms diagnoses for the last
17 years I have grown to know what she can and cannot eat.....I work at
Subway here in Tacoma, WA.  And although on the subway website it states
what ingredients are gluten free they still aren't safe for celiacs to
eat due to the contamination of the bread products....at my subway
store....we put on gloves, pick up the bread, cut the bread....the bread
crumbs get into the cheeses and also into the meats, then after we touch
the bread and have the bread crumbs on our gloves we then touch the
veggies, everything has been in contact wit the bread...even the salads
because again we touch the veggies that have bread crumbs in them, even
if we change our gloves for a customer request all the cheese, meats,
and veggies have been contaminated wit bread crumbs....so I guess what
I'm trying to get at is just to let u know since I work at subway that
even though some of the items we have are gluten-free doesn't mean they
don't have bread crumbs on them which can cause a reaction....I don't
want my mom having a reaction and I sure don't want the rest of the
celiacs to have a reaction....
Thank you..."

MY QUESTION:
"Thank you very much for your message.  I’ll pass it on to the rest of
the list.  Can you tell me – is there the same problem with
cross-contamination with the salads?"

2nd MESSAGE:
"Yes, there is the same problem wit the salads because we use the same
veggies on the salads that we do on the sandwiches...so for
example....if a customer comes in and orders a turkey sandwich and I
make it for them, then a person after them orders a salad we still have
the same gloves on that we had when we made the sandwich so the bread
crumbs are on the gloves and even if we change the gloves we still used
the same gloves to pick the veggies for the sandwich and there are
crumbs in the veggies...also our bread have seeds such as the Parmesan
oregano bread has loose crumbs on the bread so when we cut the bread and
open it the seeds/crumbs get everywhere even in the veggies...so in my
opinion subway is not safe at all for celiacs to eat at because
everything touches everything and there is a whole lot of
cross-contamination.... Your welcome for emailing you and letting you
know...I just didn't want anyone to have a reaction with our food
because the website says they food is gluten free...I believe that
subway should put on our website that their is cross-contamination...
Any other questions...just let me know...I have also worked at Orange
Julius grill and Chuck-E-Cheese....which there are cross-contamination
at those places as well....."