From:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Victor Dolcourt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jul 2013 14:54:02 -0700

Dear List Mates,

Here is recipe inspired by two sources: King Arthur Flour and Paul
Hollywood (American Baking Competition on CBS. No, I don't aspire to be one
of the ninja bakers from the show.) If you like a very tasty onion bread
then you might want to try this one: navigate to
http://bit.ly/GF_Bake(equivalent to
http://home.comcast.net/~vhdolcourt/gfbaking ). Scroll down about half-way
under the topic Yeast Breads > Bread loaves. The entry is marked with a
bold chevron (>).

Why oats? Gluten free oats are healthful and acceptable to a majority of
people on a gluten free diet. Oats contain both soluble and insoluble fiber
as does the sorghum-based all purpose flour I use in a majority of the
bread baking. Although the commercial gluten free breads with sugar beet
fiber and citrus fiber are OK, I think the stuff that naturally comes along
with whole grain ingredients is even better.

And while I'm on the topic of ingredients I wonder about, I sometimes run
into words like "cultured corn syrup solids" and "enzymes" on the packages
of gluten free bread. Enzymes is a very broad class of chemicals, many of
them naturally occurring. But the bread manufacturer has hidden the purpose
from us (i.e. Rudi's although I like their product), and we can only guess
what they use and why they use it. I speculate that it is used to retard
mold and spoilage, although I don't know for certain (
http://www.asm.org/index.php/component/content/article/88-news-room/journal-tipsheets/91542-why-sourdough-bread-resists-mold)
Udi's is more revealing with cultured corn syrup solids - a mold
inhibitor. Here is a link for more information about that class of bread
additives:
http://baking-management.com/ingredients/ask-expert-jeff-rootring-0510/ .
Am I against these bread additives: not really. These are the realities of
shipping bread across the country. I think that I am a little happier if
the bread is capable of being shared even by blue mold. But I don't really
want to engage in the argument of what is natural. I think that Rudi's,
Udi's and their competitors are doing a great job for the gluten free
community.

Please let me know if you have questions about the breads.

Vic - Sunnyvale, Ca
Find out what is happening in Northern California
http://www.celiaccommunity.org

*******
*******