From:
Barbara Wojcik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barbara Wojcik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 15:10:54 -0400

Lynne Truss was the featured speaker last night at Orchestra Hall
(Minneapolis MN) as part of their Women's Lecture Series.  So yesterday I
dropped off a cute gift bag with several gluten-free product samples, an
NCSG newsletter, Whole Foods Bakehouse brochure, and a nice little note.
The note included Northland Celiac Support Group information along with "A
Complimentary Gift Membership for You!" written on it.  The receptionist at
the stage door assured me it would be put in her dressing room, so I'm
assuming she received it.
Apparently Ms. Truss is somewhat aware of the uproar her remarks caused,
because she did send an apology of sorts to the UK celiac group.  She said
it was "clearly a joke" (I personally thought her remarks were decidedly
unambiguous) and the offending passages would be removed from later
editions.  See the letter at

http://www.coeliac.co.uk/news/309.asp

I see she is also continuing on to a book signing in New York City; maybe
someone up there wants to stop by?

Thursday, April 13, 2006
Coliseum Books
11 West 42nd Street
6:30pm

For those of you who missed the earlier posts, this is what she wrote on
page 5 in "Talk to the Hand":

"... I now can't abide many, many things, and am actually always on the
look-out for more things to find completely unacceptable. Whenever I hear
of someone being 'gluten intolerant' or 'lactose intolerant', for example,
I feel I've been missing out. I want to be gluten intolerant too. I mean,
how much longer do we have to put up with that gluten crap? Lactose has had
its own way long enough."

Maybe it's just me, but I don't get the joke.

Barbara Wojcik
www.northlandceliacs.org