From:
Jim Barron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Dec 1996 13:23:45 -0500

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Recently a distant friend was diagnosed with colon cancer, that has
> spread throught the lymph system. She is undergoing chemotherapy, sick
> from the treatment, and now experiencing hair loss as a result. The
> pronosis is not good. She would most likely be more than happy to trade
> her disease for something like Celiac Sprue, which can be controlled, by
> sticking to a restricted diet.
>
> I'm not minimizing the difficulty of the Celiac regimen...... it changes
> your whole life- but I can stop feeling so bad about the extra work,
> when I put it in this perspective. The Celiac consuming gluten increases
> the risk of intestinal lymphoma (cancer) by 90%. We have the power to
> maintain good health by limiting food intake/contents.

A very good attitude!   When I discovered I had celiac I had thought for
months that I had some sort of advanced cancer.  (Friends would stop me
on the street and ask outright if I had cancer or what, why was I so
scrawney, etc.)   When I discovered that ALL I had to do was eat the
right diet and take vitamins and went to completely normal (actually far
BETTER than normal) in 6 weeks with NO chemotherapy, radiation etc. I
was *overwhelmed* with my good fortune!   It's all relative.