From:
Alison Rollenhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alison Rollenhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 14:17:36 -0700

There has been a drastic increase in the availability of gluten-free foods in mainline groceries stores around the east side of Cleveland.  The Food Coop on Euclid Ave in Cleveland, Wild Oats Market and Trader Joe's both on Chagrin in Woodmere and Mustard Seed Market in Solon have been reliable sources for gluten-free foods, but not always the most convenient.

In the last few months Giant Eagles stores (at least the one in South Euclid on Mayfield and the one at Legacy Village in Lyndhurst) have been stocking some g-f basics and clearly labeling their deli meats if they are gluten-free.  I've also found Giant Eagle to be quick to return calls regarding their store brands.  Zagara's Market on Lee Road in Cleveland Heights has been carrying an increasing amount of g-f foods including DeBoles Pasta.  I was surprised the other day to find an extensive array of gluten-free and Ener-G foods at the Tops grocery at Severance in Cleveland Heights.  I sent my daughter their "New Improved" English muffins and she said they were very good.  This past week's Heinen's Plain Dealer newspaper insert had extensive information on Celiac Disease and highlighted the gluten-free foods that they now carry.

What a great convenience for NE Ohioans with Celiac Disease and their families.  Please be sure to express your appreciation to store managers where ever you find g-f food!

Alison, OH