Date:
Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:12:39 -0700

I haven't posted a recipe for a long time.  Here is one that I'm sure you will enjoy.  Easiest way to shape these is to take a small lump and move it between two tablespoons.  Dip the spoons in cold water between each Chepa.

Enjoy.

Jessie

                               CHEPAS

1.  1/2 cup olive oil or butter

     1/3 cup (+ 2 Tbsps) water

     1/3 cup milk

     1 tsp salt

2.   2 cups tapioca flour

      2 tsp minced garlic

3.   2/3 cup freshly grated cheese

      2 beaten eggs

Put #1 into a medium size heavy saucepan and bring to a boil.  Remove from heat and quickly add #2 all at once.  Beat with wooden spoon until smooth.  This will be like library paste.  Let cool for 15 or 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

When mixture is cool add #3 and beat until well mixed.

Shape into 1" by 2 1/2" fingers, place on a sheet pan covered with parchment and bake for 25 to 30 minutes.  Watch carefully and remove when a toothpick comes out clean.

Makes 22 to 26 chepas.

These are crisp when fresh but don't stay that way.  Second day on - warm in microwave and serve with butter. If you want to be really decadent stuff them with shrimp after you warm them.