From:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Roy Jamron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 2004 23:44:36 -0500

Here's a short lesson on the economics of probiotics.  I have compared
bacteria species and bacteria counts of 3 well-known brands of bacteria
health products: Natren®’s Healthy Trinity®, Lifeway Kefir, and Nancy's
Yogurt.  In my opinion, the clear winner is Nancy's Yogurt.  Depending on
date of use, just 2 tablespoons of Nancy's Yogurt provide 7.2 to 30.4
billion bacteria of 6 different bacteria species at a cost of $2.18 for a
32 ounce container at my discount supermarket.  Nancy's Plain Yogurts
contain only milk and bacterial cultures (added after pasteurization), with
or without honey.  NO corn syrup, gelatins, or other additives.  Allegic to
cow milk?  Nancy's also makes a soy milk yogurt.  I put a heaping
tablespoon of yogurt on each of my 2 rice cakes at breakfast, and 2 heaping
tablespoons of yogurt on my salad at dinner.  A 32 oz container for $2.18
lasts me more than a week.  Can't beat that price for a probiotic!

Note: I have no affiliations with Nancy's Yogurt.  I buy it because it's
there on the self of my supermarket. The choice of a yogurt brand is
extremely important as to whether it is a good source of beneficial
bacteria.  Read labels carefully!

----------
The Bacteria Count in Natren®’s Healthy Trinity®

http://www.natren.com/

"Potency Guarantee: Each capsule supplies a minimum of 5 billion cfu
Lactobacillus acidophilus NAS adhesion super strain; 20 billion cfu adult
specific Bifidobacterium bifidum Malyoth super strain; and 5 billion cfu
Lactobacillus bulgaricus LB-51 champion transient super strain, through the
printed expiration date when the storage conditions stated on the label are
maintained."

30 capsules Heathy Trinity list for $59.95, but discount pricing is usually
available.

----------
The Bacteria Count in Lifeway Kefir

http://www.lifeway.net/faq/faq_index.html

"A probiotic may have only one strain of bacteria targeted to produce a
particular health benefit, but Lifeway Kefir has seven different live and
active cultures that help promote myriad health benefits. These cultures
multiply in large numbers throughout the fermentation process, and increase
what is known as the bacteria count. Lifeway Kefir has five to ten billion
bacteria per serving, depending on certain factors such as the number of
days from the expiration date." (Serving size - 1 cup, 8 oz)

Bacteria Species in Lifeway Kefir

http://www.lifeway.net/research/research_reports.html

Streptococcus lactis
Streptococcus cremoris
Streptococcus diacelilactis
Leuconostoc cremoris
Lactobacillus plantarum
Lactobacillus casei
Saccharomyces florentinus

(Properties of these species are described at the web address above.)

1 quart (32 fluid ounces) Lifeway Kefir sells for $3.49 at my heath food
store.

(Soy kefir is also available.)

----------
The Bacteria Count In Nancy's Yogurt

http://www.nancysyogurt.com/contact/faq.php

"You will find billions of live cultures in every container of Nancy's
cultured dairy and soy products. When we have had our yogurts tested in an
independent laboratory, the results show our yogurt that is, for instance,
11 days old, has a total live bacterial count of 1,350,000,000 per 1/4
teaspoon. That's a lot of live culture! Keep in mind that as the product
ages, the culture or bacteria count diminishes. Even so, toward the end of
the product's life you can still expect about 300,000,000 live bacteria per
1/4 teaspoon." (Note: That's 1.2 to 5.4 billion per teaspoon, or 3.6 to
16.2 billion per tablespoon.)

Bacteria Species in Nancy's Yogurt

http://www.nancysyogurt.com/making_our_products/live_cultures.php

L. acidophilus
S. thermophilus
L. bulgaricus
L. casei
L. rhamnosus
B. bifidum cultures

(Properties of these species are described at the web address above.)

"Are Nancy's products gluten-free?

Yes, all of our cultured dairy and soy products are gluten-free. There is a
small possibility of a trace amount of wheat-peptides in the small amount
of vegan amalyse enzyme we use in the amazake, but no gluten. Most
allergies are to gluten."

A 32 ounce container of Nancy's Plain Honey Whole Milk Yogurt sells for
$2.18 at my discount supermarket.

(Soy yogurt is also available.)

* * *