From:
Mary Gallahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 15:47:52 -0800

Some people on the list have mentioned great difficulty in finding gf
cooking herbs and spices.  You might want to try this source.  I have been
getting mine here for about 15 years.  They also have fragrance oils,
incense resins, company-blended teas, and cooking extracts of various kinds.

The store clerk and manager both stated that there were no additives of any
kind in the herbs and spices.  I don't know about their other products.
(This store was started in the 70's about the time that concerns about food
purity surfaced.  During that decade in Berkeley, California this topic was
taken very seriously.  I suspect that if customers thought there was
something in the products, the company wouldn't have stayed in business for
long.)

I paid $0.50 for a catalog and found a 2-column list of common and uncommon
cooking herbs and spices.

The Lhasa Karnak Herb Company
2513 Telegraph Avenue
Berkeley California  94704

For mail order, tel: 510/548-0380;  fax: 510/548-0389

Hours:  Monday-Saturday 10AM - 6:30PM, Sunday 11AM - 6PM, all hours Pacific
Standard Time

Shipping --  USA shipping only (Sorry, international listmates.).  $4.00 for
California; $5.00 in all other states.
(No minimum order in terms of dollars, but consider the fact that 1 oz. of
herbs might cost you $0.75 (US dollars) and the shipping costs would be
quite large.  The bigger order, the better.  I have purchased from the store
and have never used the mail order.  I don't know how efficient they are or
what types of services mail order provides.)

The usual disclaimer of financial interest in the company.

Good eating to all.

Mary G. in California