Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:51:04 EST

I received about 15 responses.  Most responders are not willing to risk
taking Juice Plus, however, a minority were very happy with it.  Here are some of
the comments:

Why people aren't using the product:
-200 parts per million is not gluten free. It is the amount
considered gluten free in the old, outdated, never accepted in the US, codex
alimentarius.

Less than 200 ppm is considered with gluten.  It is much too high.  Less than
10 ppm is considered GF.

<200 ppm is neither a guarantee of being completely GF nor of being up at
200 ppm of gluten/gliadin.  Basically this measure was originally taken by
Codex Alimentarius because it is the lowest level of total protein that can
be reliably measured by the most sensitive test at the time.  The material is
technically "gluten-free" (because it complies with CA levels) but does not
necessarily contain NO gluten.

Celiacs have a 0 tolerance for gluten.  I thought that the FDA standard
for considering something gluten free was 4 parts per billion.

Why people are using the product:
-I am a biopsy proven celiac and have been taking Juice Plus for over 2
years.  It is definitely gluten free.  I definitely feel better and am more
energized with the extra nutrition that I receive from this product.

I met several Celiacs who were taking it with no problems.

Absolutely!  Take it!  I have been taking JP for almost 6 years now and have
been a Celiac for only 2.  I take it daily with no problems and find it is a
very important way to keep healthy as I continue to strive toward a balanced GF
diet.  The oat and rye bran in JP are just that - the bran - not the protein
portion of the grain.  It's a different part of the grain.  Some people are
going to write in and tell you that there's no way to separate the bran from the
rest of the grain successfully, eliminating the possibility of cross
contamination, in a sense.  That simply isn't true.

Some alternatives:
How about making some simple fruit and vegetables?  There are many
nutritional gf supplements like boost,vivonex ,criticare, HN.

I like Twin Lab Daily One Caps and OsteoPrime Forte by PhytoPharmica.