From:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bev Messner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:33:24 -0500

Listed below are the comments and suggestions sent to me about breakfast
cereals.  Some feel safe if they know the lines have been cleaned in
between runs.  Others have issues with this.   I suppose we can be
intolerant of some things without it having to be related to CD.  We can’t
blame every reaction on celiac.   So it always ends up back in our own laps
and we make the ultimate decision as to whether we will eat a certain
product.   We are in charge of our own lives and no one wants lectures.
So I have posted every answer I got,  but without duplicating.   Thanks to
all of you who responded.

Bev
Mansfield, OH

· Twice Rice by Erewhon is gf.  (It's a lot like Rice Krispies, made
w/ brown rice and rice syrup) and sold in health food stores.

· Post Fruity Pebbles or Post Coco Pebbles

· Kashi's Cranberry Sunshine is delicious and I was told it was GF by
other celiacs, but I have not asked the company. It does not say GF on the
box that I can see. I haven't had any problems with it thus far, but they
do make other grain cereals so I guess there could be contamination issues
possibly.

· Malt o Meal brand chocolate and fruit rice cereal are both GF

· •   Malt-O-Meal Puffed Rice
  •   Malt-O-Meal Corn Bursts®  (corn pops copy)
  •   Malt-O-Meal Fruity Dyno-Bites®
  •   Malt-O-Meal Cocoa Dyno-Bites®.

· Matl-O-Meal and POST  make gluten cereals too.  They said they
adhere to the "best practices for line
sanitation" i.e. wash the lines between gluten and gf  cereals.  For my
family, I consider that gf.

· I love Cream of Rice hot cereal, I add brown sugar and cinnamon.
Another favorite is Arrowhead Mills, Puffed Brown Rice cereal.  It has
more flavor than Puffed White Rice Cereal.

· Another one I eat is Nutty Rice by Pacific Grain. It's crunchy
toasted rice. Sometimes I put it in yogurt to make it more filling and give
it some crunch. I used to used grape nuts and really missed that crunch.
Nutty Rice is a decent substitute. They also make a Nutty Corn but I have
not tried that one.

·
 -I like the Enjoy Life brand of cereal.  It has a granola texture and a
little more "grown-up" taste than some of the others.  There are two types
and they are both good but I prefer the cinnamon raisin one.

· President's Choice 'Too Good to Be True' golden Maize ancient
grains corn flakes cereal  is one we buy at Dominion all time and it is
marked Gluten Free

· Gorilla Munch, Natures Path Fruit Juice Sweetened Corn Flakes and
Honey'd Corn Flakes, Health Valley Corn and Rice Crunchems

· I gave up on Gorilla Munch.  They produce gluten products in the
same   plant, on the same lines (washed in between) but I always had
problems  eating that cereal...

· I have had some very serious reactions to both Gorilla Munch and
Mesa Sunrise.  I won't eat those anymore because of the contamination
problem.

· I know that there has been some discussion about the Corn and Rice
Crunchems lately, but we do use them.  I figure that if they clean the
lines between runs, that is about all you can ask for.   We do not use just
items that are made in a GF facility, but that is a matter of choice, of
course.

· Barbara's Puffins - Honey Rice variety ONLY

· Nature's Path Crispy Rice

· I eat Honey'd Corn Flakes and Mesa Sunrise religiously.  I think
they are great!

· The Corn Pops have to be made AFTER 1/1/04 to contain wheat, the
ones made before that are fine.

· My grandson's favorite is quinoa cooked as a hot cereal with a
little sucanat to sweeten and fruit.  I love this for breakfast too.
Sucanat is a Wholesome Sweetener's unrefined sugar so it works for
diabetics too.  The other breakfast cereal we like is cooked teff grains.

· Arrowhead Mills  MAPLE BUCKWHEAT FLAKES is wheat free and made with
non gluten ingredients.
I have been eating it for some time now. It tastes good and is not too
sweet, either.

· I am hypoglycemic myself (in addition to the celiac) so I have to
stay away from the sweet cereals. However, I do make my own. I mix Wild
Oats Brand puffed rice and puffed corn, with freeze-dried fruit and nuts.
The fruit comes from a company called Just Tomatoes, etc.
http://www.justtomatoes.com/
· All the company does is make dried fruits and vegetables, nothing
is added so they are gluten-free with no chance of cross-contamination. The
puffed rice and puffed corn is another story. Wild Oats does not claim that
it is gluten-free because they run them on the same line as other gluten
containing products. However, they do say that they have a strict allergen
protocol (not sure what that means) and they thoroughly clean their lines
between product runs. It's up to the individual if they want to eat these
products, but I feel safe about it. (I also have not come accross a
substitute that I can use.)

· The only cold cereal that I eat is Barbara's Brown Rice Crispy's
and when I called they told me it was GF, however it doesn't say so on the
box.

· I've purchased Orgran's muesli from the Gluten Free Pantry and just
love it. Also purchased some other gluten free muesli's from Australia
while down in Bali last month that have Gluten Free all over the label...
also good, but can't remember the name of the company.

· I buy generic puffed rice at Giant food stores that I checked out
with the company.  It contains only rice.  This is only good if you live in
an area with  Giant stores, but maybe you could check out your local stores
for this sort of thing.

· What about Cream of Rice, Quinoa, and (Oh, my gracious!) Grits!

There is also the option of a Smoothie with fresh fruit & yogurt.