From:
Ian Wahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 23:08:52 -0600

Dear listmembers,

Here is a summary of the info I received about our impending trip to
Scottsdale and San Diego (Universal studios).
The following are the replies I received:

United has a new chef and I like their GF meals a lot.
live in Vancouver BC and work in Scottsdale a couple of times a year.
I fly United to get there, via Denver.

No problems with the GFML on United - usually is a mushroom omelet with
potatoes for breakfast, and the wonderful chicken with cheese sauce,
rice cracker and salad for lunch/dinner.  Sauce is made with corn starch
as the thickener.  If in doubt though, I would go with the fruit plate.

I have never had a problem eating in Scottsdale.  I work downtown at
their city hall and stay at the Hampton Inn about 2 blocks from there.
The Hampton serves breakfast where I can get some fruit.  I sometimes
take my cream of rice cereal down to the self serve breakfast if I feel
like something more substantial.  The Cream of Rice cereal and a couple
of rice snack bars is all I travel with.  The restaurants in the area
(walking distance) are great - there is quite a selection!  There is one
Mexican restaurant near their city art/theater complex that is really
good with reasonable prices.  I generally have the enchiladas or Mexican
salad without the wheat bowl.  After I explain what my challenge with
eating is, I have always had a great meal wherever I have gone.

I travel full time, and I am really not that concerned at all where I
will be able to eat.  I find most restaurants these days happy to oblige
with any requests.

There is a Trader Joe's in Phoenix, although I don't know the address.
I'm sure the phone directory can help.

Universal City Walk, adjacent to Universal Studios, has a wonderful
fish restaurant (although pricey, but we're used to that aren't we?).
It's called Gladstone's for Fish, as well as Tony Roma's.  They have
been quite helpful.

I've flown United Airlines a couple of times since gluten free.  They
were most helpful.  I always call the airline a day or two prior to
flying to confirm that the food will be GF.

There are Wild Oats at 40th Street and Camelback and also one at 7129 E
Shea (I think that's near Scottsdale Rd).

There is also a Trader Joe's at 6202 N Scottsdale Rd.

I thought I'd let you know that I just completed a trip from Denver to
Mexico City, to LA to San Francisco, back to Denver on United and had GF
meals the whole way.  The dinner was a chicken breast and mashed potatoes
and a vegetable - very little seasoning - wish I had brought along some GF
Tamari or seasoning salt.   Breakfast was also hot - a small omelet and
fruit.  They did a good job. I had no reaction to any of the meals.

There is indeed a Wild Oats.  There are also numerous health food stores in
that area (included are Hi Health,no connection to them, just able to get
gluten free products from them).  There are numerous restaurants that you can
get gluten free foods (such as the Fish Market, many chinese rest.  will cook
your food if you bring in your own GF soy sauce) I don't know what kind of
food you like( vegetarian, seafood, steak & potatoes, whatever, but
Scottsdale is a good place to eat out) If you have any particular types of
restaurants you would like to try, let me know and I can probably offer a few
selections)

The Wild Oats in Scottsdale was *useless*! There was a *much* better
selection of GF food (including Pamela's biscotti and EnerG breads
and rolls) at the local HFS (I think it was called Hi-life). Anyhow,
it's in the same shopping center with the Old Navy and the Target, so
the folks at your hotel should be able to get you there... There's
also a Trader Joe's in Scottsdale with the usual assortment of
celiac-friendly stuff...

Restaurants - we ate at a couple of the local Mexican places without
incident (Julio Gs and the Blue Burrito). I ate most of the rest of
my meals at the hotel (we were there for a convention, so didn't get
out too much). Watch out for flour tortillas! Much of the Mexican
food in Phoenix is Sonoran - the one part of Mexico that uses flour
tortillas instead of maiz (corn). You can get corn tortillas if you
ask (sometimes).

>  We will also be in San Diego, but I know where to find food there.  We
> will be going to Universal Studios and wonder if they can accommodate us.
> Does anyone know if they can do GF or should we just pack our own food?

Universal Studios has a new collection of stores and restaurants just
outside the main gate - it's called CityWalk. I know for sure that
there's a Gladstone's there, and I've *never* had trouble at
Gladstone's - just ask for everything "plain" - their fish is
wonderful, and I'm told they do a good job with steak, too (I have
more trouble with beef than gluten, and I have a *lot* of trouble
with gluten :-( Gladstone's usually also has a wondrous salad bar
with many plain (unmarinated/undressed) goodies...

Within the park itself, I'd stick to the safe snack-type stuff (plain
peanuts, etc). You can get your hand stamped, eat at City Walk, and
return.

There are several health-food stores within easy distance of
Universal - Whole Foods in Sherman Oaks, Full of Life in Burbank and
Trader Joe's in Sherman Oaks.

As you can see, I got a lot of responses.  I haven't called the stores yet
but will do so Saturday before we leave.  I am still packing quite a lot of
her special food just to be on the safe side.

Thank you to everyone who wrote.  I am going to call United to verify the
meals now.

Happy holidays to all.

Warmly,

Bev Wahl