From:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 10:34:35 -0500

Thank you each and every one of you again!  I had about 25 responses!  It
is so comforting and therapeutic to know that we always have each other to
help us through the difficult times.  I have learned so much from all of
you over the last couple of years and this was no exception!

Although I kind of thought my problem was a bacterial imbalance, I’m not
sure I would have figured out that an antibiotic promotes the right
environment for yeast growth (or candida).  It makes so much sense.  Since,
we celiacs, already have a compromised immunity, the GF diet (e.g., high
carbs, fruits, sugars) actually feeds the little yeast critters and then
given the right exposure (antibiotic, stress, etc.) could create an
explosive payback!

closure):

The first camp, were those that indicated Lyme can cause joint pain and
suggested I go back to my doctor.  I really don’t think this is my
problem.  Recall, my Lyme test result was borderline (not in the high
category), I did not have any pain prior to taking the antibiotic, and I
experienced improvement in almost all my symptoms when I started the
Acidophilus (3 weeks later).  If I am wrong in my analysis, then I will not
hesitate going back to my doctor (I have the best)!

The second camp, were those that shared their knowledge of and experience
with probiotics and yeast growth or candida.  I believe this is the most
likely answer.  The symptoms are vast but here are some: fatigue, lethargy,
migraine headaches, weakness, muscle and joint pain, respiratory problems,
depression, insomnia, irritability, confusion, itchy skin, etc., etc.  In
extreme cases, candidiasis can be fatal!

Several people indicated that an accidental ingestion of gluten causes
joint pain for them.  I am very very strict with my diet so I don’t believe
this is my problem.  Also, I didn’t get joint pain from the couple of times
I did accidentally ingest gluten.

Thank you so much a thousand times over!

Warm Regards, Janet
Charlotte, NC

p.s. I have only been on the diet a few days but I am already starting to
feel a little less pain.  Basically, it seems like the only thing you can
eat is meat and veggies.  I thought GF was difficult, that was nothing.
Soooo, this is really really hard!  But, there are secondary benefits. Like
maybe I’ll be able to fit in some my smaller sizes (a silver lining in
every cloud).

-----
I have extracted the details and recommendations from some of the replies:

It is quite possible that you already had elevated yeast before you started
the antibiotic. It goes with the celiac territory. And an antibiotic would
then make them proliferate by killilng off the good bacteria. My
practitioners have emphasized with me that it's best for me to stay on a
probiotic for the rest of my life because of the vulnerability of the gut
when there's anything that compromises the immune system, such as celiac or
a disease like Lyme. It's very easy for the gut flora to get thrown off
kilter with these underlying vulnerabilities. Also, you might ask your
doctor for a prescription for Nystatin which kills yeast in the gut but
does not go into the bloodstream. A comparable over the counter supplement
is caprylic acid or olive leaf. It's important to start with a low dose and
slowly build up to the recommended dose.

If yeast becomes systemic, however, a drug such as Diflucan, which does go
throughout the blood stream, may be called for. There is slight risk of
liver damage with Diflucan but I have taken it successfully on two
different occasions.

It's also critical that you be on a yeast diet, i.e. no sugar, no refined
flours of ANY kind, no vinegar, etc. There are many good books that give
the detailed diet and recipes.
-----
Joint pain can also accompany candida, which can develop, from taking
antibiotics.  Most medical doctors do not yet recognize candida--it is a
bit like celiac was a few years back.  Medical docs think people with aids
and cancer get it and that is it.  Acidophilus can help with the candida,
but you really have to go into a more forceful approach than that to rid
the candida, if that is the problem.   (Monolaurin, some whey powders,
diflucan, nystatin.... these all kill candida. I have gotten the rest of my
yeast info from old Dr. Crook books and from the yeast-L forum.  This is
the addy for that forum:  [log in to unmask]  There are people
there who have had both lyme and candida, so it would be great for you to
join and ask questions there.  If you are looking for something to kill off
the candida, I am just taking monolaurin and calcium AEP.  My nutritionist
says monolaurin is safe and is a full germicidal--kills bacteria, virus,
and yeasts.  That was a good bet for me, as I had other issues other than
candida.  Monolaurin is also OTC.  I also take other things to weaken
candida--vit E trienols (it keeps the yeasts communication thru chemical
messages from forming.  Yeasts send out chemical messages and group into
communities called "bio-films").  I take quercitin which is good for many
intolerances like I have and candida does not like it but I forget the
particular function it has against yeasts.  I have been able to tolerate
veggies, tho, again since taking it.  I am also on calcium AEP.  Yeasts
like calcium--they use calcium (and glutens, btw) to build their bio-film
structures.  Calcium AEP is a special formulation that is a trojan horse.
It is taken into the yeast colony and has a hidden toxin that kills the
yeasts inside the bio-films.  I am also supposed to be taking whey powder,
however, I am intolerant of that product and we do not know why  If you
have candida and use the monolaurin, you will know right away if you are
killing off candida (or something!)  It makes you get lymphatic congestion
if you kill them off too fast.  You will have brain fog each time you up
the dosage.

~ continues on Summary #2