From:
Lisa Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Cherry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 2004 14:00:01 GMT

Thank you to all who replied to my post inquiring as to whether or not anyone with DH has had a reaction to Enviro Kidz Panda Puffs or their new Rice Krisp Bars.

4 people with CD who are extremely sensitive to gluten said they have not had any problems with these products and eat them often. A couple of these people suggested that my daughter may be allergic to peanuts or buckwheat.

2 people responded that they have had reactions to some of the Enviro Kidz cereals and that they have removed them from their diet.  They suggested that I go by my daughter's reaction and not trust the gluten free label.  One of these members forwarded a report on wheat free foods which I will post here for all of you to read:
Study: Wheat-Free Foods May Contain Wheat

As Much as 20% of Wheat-Free Foods Contain Detectable Amount of Wheat Proteins

By  Melissa Schorr
WebMD Medical News
 Reviewed By Brunilda  Nazario, MD
on Monday, March 22, 2004

March 22, 2004 (San Francisco) -- One-fifth of common grocery foods labeled wheat-free or gluten-free may actually contain significant amounts of wheat protein, a concern for people with wheat allergies.

"Caution must be taken when eating foods labeled gluten-free," says Ashley Lardizabal, a graduate student at the Food Allergy Research and Resource Program at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. She presented her findings at the Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology.

Although frequently underdiagnosed, about one in every 150 people in the U.S. is affected by allergies to gluten -- found in rye, wheat, oats, and barley. Doctors call this condition gluten sensitivity or celiac sprue.

There is no single standard for defining a gluten-free product. Therefore, the researchers conducted their study to find out the levels of wheat proteins in all types of foods.

The researchers tested 140 different food samples purchased at the grocery store to see whether people who suffer from gluten sensitivity could safely eat them.

The researchers tested a variety of products likely to contain wheat, including gums, alcohol, soy sauce, vinegars, and malt liquors, as well as "wheat-free" products. Overall, 16% of the products tested contained wheat proteins.

Most disturbingly, Lardizabal reports that 20% of the products labeled wheat-free actually contained some wheat protein -- even exceeding current labeling guidelines for gluten-free.

In products considered non-wheat, such as chicken bouillon, corn cereal, and caramel ice cream topping, about 15% still contained some wheat proteins, most likely from cross-contamination during processing, she says.

All of the malt products contained wheat proteins; however, none of the alcohol products or gums contained any wheat protein.

"The good news is dietary choices are not as restricted as assumed," she says. "Food gums and distilled products are expected to be safe." However, patients with gluten sensitivity should not eat wheat starches, malt syrup, or extracts.

"This is in line with other studies that have shown there are contaminates," Wesley Burks, a professor of pediatrics at Duke University, who moderated the session, tells WebMD. "Be aware. If you are eating something that says it's wheat-free but [you're] having symptoms, talk to your physician."

Several people I talked to have chosen to leave processed foods out of their diets completely.  Frankly this seems like the only solution for us.  We have been struggling with this diet for a year and a half, and although my daughter has improved she still has break outs and I can not for the life of me determine what is causing them.  We have decided to take this approach and pray that it is the answer we have been looking for.  The hours spent reading labels and calling companies and the stress and frustration from still not getting it right and most importantly the destruction that is ongoing in my daughter's little body is not worth it.  By switching to whole foods, meats, vegetables, fruits and some dairy, and possibly a few products from the gluten free pantry, which to my understanding only purchases products from companies that only make gluten free products so their is no chance of cross contamination, I am hoping to see immediate results.  This way there will be no question as to whether or not a product is safe.

I appreciate all those who took the time to reply.  I was encouraged by your replies.

Blessings,
Lisa  :0)
<>< psalm 139 ><>