From:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Megan Tichy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:11:49 -0500

The following link is a LA Times article that is closely related to
the article from The Bryan College Station Eagle, but very different
in some ways. Some sections are verbatim, others have been changed
entirely – like the caption. It was the Sun 27th article from the
Health and Fitness section. It did not appear online. The editor said
he cannot find the file anywhere but would send me a hard copy.

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-gluten7-2008jul07,0,6367449.story

I think a GF diet can be as healthy or as unhealthy as one wants to
make it. Our Standard American Diet (SAD) is filled with processed
grains, chemicals, HFCS and all sorts of unhealthy stuff. I laugh
every time I hear doctors say that wheat needs to be added back in
because it is unhealthy to omit it. Even Dr. Fasano says no one
digests wheat well. Dr. William Davis, a cardiologist, says wheat
worsens the lipid profile and adds to visceral fat. Here are his blogs
on wheat and other high carb foods
http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/search/label/Wheat

People who eat gluten do not get B12 and folate from the grains - they
get it because the processed grain products are fortified with these
vitamins. GF grains are now often fortified too. Here are the foods
that are naturally high in folate - I don't see wheat
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=63

Here is the info on B12
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=107#foodsources

I for one take b12 and folate as supplements.

Is self diagnosis a money issue? Are doctors concerned about the
revenue they will loose if people go on a GF diet before they spend
thousands of dollars for blood and biopsy testing? If people continue
to eat gluten, they need continuing care and continuing medication. I
know I don't need to see my doctors as often as I did pre gluten free.
I don't need to take medications such as nuerontin or an
antidepressant. These were the medications offered to be before I
discovered gluten was making me ill. I did not need to get another
cardiac cath to see if I was reblocking. My shortness of breath and
edema disappeared when I went GF.

*******
*******