From:
Cherry Marshall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 13:06:27 EDT

I apologize for the long delay in this summary and thank all the wonderful,
supportive list members who replied to my post (many weeks ago!)  It's
encouraging to know that there are so many sensitive people out there who,
without even knowing you, offer so much emotional support in a time to need.
Thanks go to the individuals who started this list - it's invaluable to all
of us in the celiac community.

1.  Heavy Cream - some people have no problem with this product.  However, I
was cautioned against anything containing "mono and diglycerides" unless the
source ia known - they can be derived from a forbidden grain.  Most common
supermarket brands of heavy cream do contain that ingredient.  I happened to
find a pure "heavy cream" in Trader Vic's the other day - and would assume
some health food stores would carry the same.

2.  Stress - several people responded to me citing their own stressful
experiences.  It appears that celiacs going through difficult situations
in their lives do manifest pronounced celiac reactions (diarrhea,
cramps, headaches, fatigue, etc.), particularly since there is already a
weakness in our systems.  With the pressures of normal every day life on
so many of us,  it's understandable that we experience some celiac
symptoms even though we're meticulous with our diet.  Whether it be
family (spouse, elderly parents, children, etc.) or job related - or the
biggy in our case - the fact that we have to deal with the constant
challenge of staying healthy and watching our diet (and it is a 24 hour,
365 day a year concern) - we can certainly be victims of stress.  And
when we do exhibit celiac symptoms we are likely to worry even more (at
least in my case).  So, perhaps there are times when we should realize
that it's stress that's bringing on certain problems and that we
shouldn't exacerbate the situation by undue worry.