From:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
diana day <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:40:19 -0400

This is a cake recipe from my friend Hester Hodges, who has been baking
cakes for people she knows on their birthdays for years and years. As
she approaches her 82nd birthday, I think Mrs. Hodges has reached her
finest hour with this one! She makes up her own recipes and has been
baking GF birthday cakes for us for several years now. This is an
awesome three layer apple cake, made something like a carrot cake. It’s
moist, airy and the height of a standard birthday cake.

If you try it, would you do me the favor of telling Mrs. Hodges how you
like it? I thought I’d collect messages and pass them along to her. The
idea that she’s made a cake that many people could enjoy would make her
day.

Here it is:

Gluten Free Apple Cake

2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 cups fresh chopped apples
2 cups gluten-free rice flour
½ tsp. Salt
1 ½ tsp. Baking soda
1 ½ tsp. Baking powder
2 tsp. Cinnamon
2 tsp. Ground cloves
Chopped pecans

1)       Combine sugar, oil, beat well.
2)       Add eggs, chopped apples and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
3)       Add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda, cinnamon and
cloves
4)       Pour into 3 greased and gluten-free floured pans.
5)       Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until firm in middle.
6)       Cool 10 minutes in pan.
7)       Top with cream cheese icing* mixed with chopped pecans.

*cream cheese icing: just mix cream cheese with honey or sugar to taste.

Hope you like it!

Diana