From:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 11:46:06 -0500

When I posted my original question asking people how vigilant they
are about staying gf, I also suggested that people who don't react
strongly to a gluten hit are more likely to be a little casual about
it. People who are not completely vigilant may retain sufficient
antibodies to "protect" against symptomatic response. It is pretty
well established that the super-vigilant, more apt to be free of
antibodies, are also more vulnerable to strong reactions.

1.
>My husband. both our children and I are all Dx'd with celiac
>disease. the children and I are hyper vigilant. People are always
>super impressed by my 5 year olds who refuse food unless they are
>convinced of its safe status.  DH (the respondant's husband?) eats
>gf around us but when we aren't around, all bets are off.
>
>It drives me crazy, especially since he is an MD.

I suspect that he is not that unusual.

2.
I do notice that those who "cheat" on the gf diet are those whose
symptoms are not as severe as my own.  Most of the celiacs that I
have met locally fit into this category.  They cannot imagine living
like I do, nor can they imagine feeling like I do when glutenated.

3.
One Celiac wrote that her Type II husband is a much less careful
eater than she is, a difference she attributes to our needing to
avoid gluten altogether and the more nebulous instruction to Type II
diabetics that they "cut back." Fuzzy boundaries leave the door open
to fuzzy compliance.

And finally, ill-informed medical professionals remain a problem.
That is, no doubt, part of what motivates people to take matters into
their own hands and sign up for lists like this one:

4.
When I was first dxed (6 1/2 years ago) I was sent to a dietitian to
help me learn the gf lifestyle.  Within 5 minutes I already knew she
was clueless and I had only been dxed 10 days.  But from 10 days on
the internet I already knew all soups without pasta or barley and all
corn or rice cereals were not gf, something the dietitian had not yet
apparently learned.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.

Mary Brown
NYC