From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:13:54 EDT

Yes, although I admit I am somewhat embarrassed for not having realized that
gluten intolerance and celiac disease are interchangeable terms....I am not
alone!!  For those of you who are also somewhat befuddled here are the terms
that are interchangeable, taken from the handbook put together by CSA, Inc.

"celiac sprue, celiac disease, the celiac condition, the celiac affection,
celiacs, nontropical sprue, idiopathic steatorrhea, gluten sensitive
enteropathy, malabsorption syndrome, gluten intolerance, gluten sensitivity,
the celiac syndrome, intestinal infantilism, Gee-Herter's dease/syndrome.
All names refer to the same problem--the inability to tolerate the gluten
found in wheat, rye, oats, and a series of grains including selected
varietiets and/or contaminated millet and buckweat.  Most foreign, and
especially British references, speel celiac as coeliac." p.8

There you go......as if THAT isn't confusing enough someone warned me to be
careful with my abbreviation of celiac disease as CD as that can also
indicate a slew of other diseases like crohns.  Arg.

Also, someone indicated that due to a confusion of names and lack of
information some doctors may themselves become befuddled, with unfortunate
consequences:

<< most doctors don't know anything some think that there is a celiac sprue
only for kids and celiac disease is only for adults now isn't that silly?
some think celiac had a remission and one can eat gluten and that
reasoning is deadly.>>

If you are interested in the difference between Celiac/gluten intolerance etc
etc and Allergies.....take a gander at the following address
http://www.gluten-free.com/frequent.html#diference

Thanks to all who responded!

Saskia in Seattle