From:
"F.W. Janssen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

        During 1997 there will be a coordinated program in the countries of the
European Community to monitor the presence of allergens (and gluten) in
food. The Inspectorate of Health Protection in Zutphen is coordinating this
investigation as far as The Netherlands are concerned.  By consequence we
will analyze many GF foods for gluten in the next couple of months. As we
carry out the analysis in series the opportunity exist to add some samples
from abroad. For us this would be an ideal occasion to expand our insight
in various matrices (i.e. other types of contaminating wheat cultivars,
other corn or rice varieties and so on.
We therefore offer to analyze GF food free of charge
        There are some restrictions.
        We are not interested in items like vinegar, caramel colors or distilled
alcohol as these foods are in our opinion of minor relevance to the GF
diet. The most severe threat to celiacs is simple contamination of GF food
constituents (corn, buckwheat and rice flour), food inadvertently labeled
as GF and food with incorrect ingredient lists. Our interest will by
consequence be focused on these items. We need only small quantities (10
gm)  but a prerequisite is that the food must be homogenized by the
applicant. The food must be non-perishable (i.e. dry). We don't want any
troubles with customs so the samples have to be sealed hermetically.
Neither do we want to be involved in litigation: apart from the applicants
the results will only be communicated in an anonymized fashion, i.e.
without mentioning of brand names (just a description of the food, the
level of gluten and symptoms content).
        Foods will be analyzed at no charge, and by consequence we will have to
ballot the applicants to avoid being flooded with requests. The most
important argument will be whether there is there a link to "celiac"
symptoms upon ingestion of the food or whether the food is otherwise
suspected. Postage will have to be paid by the applicant.
        We do not want to be involved in carrying out quality control for
companies producing GF food so we want only "natural" persons. As there
will be no charge and the samples will be used to complete a series, it may
take some time to complete the analysis. We do not like to be hurried up.

If you're interested, please contact me by email. If will be pleased to
supply more information.

Frederik. W. Janssen, Inspectorate of Health Protection, Zutphen, The
Netherlands