From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Apr 1998 17:09:06 -0400

I had called McCormick/Schilling about a year ago, and at
that time their very friendly, helpful Consumer Affairs rep.
assured me that Old Bay Seasoning was gluten-free (in fact,
her first remark was to ask if I was celiac, so she knew what
I was talking about!). However, when Tanya in Seattle got
so sick after eating food seasoned with Old Bay, I thought it
would be good to check up on Old Bay's current status.

Old Bay is still gluten-free; I talked with Carolyn in Consumer
Affairs today, who checked, and reported it was free of wheat
gluten. I asked if it had any derivatives or ingredients related
to barley, oats, and rye, and she checked again and reported
that it did not.

McCormick/Schilling's phone is: 410-527-6000, and their fax
is 410-527-6267.

Of course, cross-contamination is always a possibility, as some
of their products are NOT gf (such as the chili powder, and some,
but not all, of their curry mixtures), but McCormick has a good
quality-control reputation, and evidently works hard to keep
their production lines clean between spices. Tanya may have
had the bad luck to get a rare contaminated sample of Old Bay,
or some other factor may have caused her illness. (I sure hope
she's doing lots better by now.)

I've continued using McCormick spices and herbs on the gf list
without any problems. I'm looking forward to another tasty
summer of  Maryland steamed crabs seasoned in Old Bay!

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore