From:
Don McPherson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Dec 1999 03:39:53 -0800

Hello There,

Although I had been gf for a month after the blood test, it was to be
another six weeks before I saw the GI, and another week after that
before the endoscopy/colonoscopy exam.  I asked the list if it would be
wise to return to a "normal" diet until after the endo. and the
overwhelming majority advice  was yes, so I did.

At first the GI said that on the basis of the blood test, he was willing
to "diagnose me with CD in l999".  I've had so many digestive complaints
for so long, though, that  he ordered an endoscopy and colonoscopy.  H e
said that although the blood test seemed conclusive, my symptoms were
not the classic presentation, (no severe diarrhea or weight loss or DH -
My symptoms are chronic severe constipation, swelling and bloating, and
periodic bouts of diarrhea, and itchy skin - also, osteoporosis that has
not responded to Hormone Replacement therapy). He also said that he
might want to order an upper GI series, because that was the only way to
examine the small intestine completely. When the results of the biopsy
were negative, he said that I did not have CD and that the IgA
antigliadin blood test,  which showed 3x the normal amount of
antibodies, was a false positive.   The colonoscopy showed no damage, so
he  declined to order the upper GI series.  When I asked about the
osteoporosis, he said that I was post-menopausal and had a small frame,
so it was age-related. At this time, I don't have the emotional strength
to press for further tests or try to find another GI. Maybe later.  I
would like any helpful information that I might be able to share with
this  one , though.

Questions:  Is there a difference between celiac disease and gluten
intolerance?  For instance, could I have been allergic to gluten all
these years without any damage to the villi?  Kind of a precursory
condition? Also, is it possible that the biopsy was taken from an area
that was undamaged?  Are all of the villi affected?

Immediately after the endo. and before I received the biopsy report, I
returned to the gf diet, and I am almost symptom free now, after 3
weeks.  My plan is to continue with the diet to see if I remain without
symptoms for several months.  I have never been symptom-free for more
than a month, except when I went on an elimination diet, and one month
years ago when a GP had me take Motrin 3 times a day for a month.  If I
am symptom-free for several months, I will stay on the diet.  The list
has been so very,very  helpful in helping me to follow the diet.  Thank
you, thank you for all the recipes and product recommendations and
supply sources.  Nancy in Ashland, OR