From:
Margaret Steele <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 18:10:22 +1100

Thank you for the replies (20) to my query on grain fed beef. The overall
consensus was that the fact that the beef was grain fed could not be the
cause of a gluten reaction, although 4 people reported a reaction to all
grain fed meat, and one had 2 friends who also reacted.

There were many suggestions: Was the steak on the rare side? Reaction could
be from undercooked meat (such as e-coli) and not a gluten reaction. (I like
my steak well done).

Possible tummy bug (Diarrhea has never been a symptom for me).
Spices left on grill.

Reaction from the drinks (I had mineral water & percolated coffee).
Grill contaminated.

Iodised salt or oil reaction (the oil was sesame & I'm OK with salt).
Salad or desert (didn't have either).

Grill over charcoal (metal plate grill).

Something added by butcher or cut with same knife as sausage.

Seasoning on steak (I was assured the steak was unadulterated by the chef).

Airborne Flour particles in kitchen or cutting board.

Animal given growth hormones producing another reaction.

Something eaten earlier in day (nothing new & only what I had prepared)

Gut not healed and therefore not necessarily something specific. (I have
been gf for 3 years but was undiagnosed about 6).

I can only go by what I was told about the cleanliness of the grill and use
of cooking tools. The waitress has a nursing background and said she was
familiar with coeliac disease.  I think it was possibly cross contamination,
but I ate there on Sat and had grilled chicken & steamed veg instead of the
beef and was OK.  I suppose some would say I ought to try the beef again to
confirm this, but I don't think I will.

Thanks again
Margaret