From:
Matt Skogmo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 07:35:54 -0700

Wow!  What an overwhelming response to a simple question!  I appreciate all
of the feedback.  It sure made me feel better about how I was feeling....

To summarize,

Most of the responders stated that what I am going through is normal.  It is
normal to have good days and bad days, especially during the time after you
are diagnosed.  Many people had the same theory as to why this happens.

        Since most people have suffered some amount of damage and
malnutrition before being diagnosed, their bodies have essentially been
starving for some period of time.  When they go GF, their gut begins to heal
and your body begins to absorb the nutrients that it has been lacking for a
long time.  The hunger that we feel is just our body clamoring for more
nutrients.  Other theories included:  a possible sensitivity to
carbohydrates, and to change my diet to more protein and less carbs.  Since
some people with celiac also have other problems, it was suggested that I
get tested for diabetes.  The Atkins diet was recommended in some cases.

        Lots of people suggested that I eat less, but more often.  Don't try
to eat 3 large meals a day.  Instead, eat 5 or 6 smaller meals.  Things like
nuts can help as an in between snack.

        Many people also wrote that taking a good vitamin and mineral
supplement can help a lot, however it is important to see your doctor and
get tested for vitamin and mineral deficiencies.

        Many people also wrote that weight gain is normal.  For some people
it was a few pounds, for others it was a few dozen.  Once again, your body
has been starving for some time.  Now that its guts work, it absorbs
EVERYTHING.  Sort of a "survival mode."  Since it has had to work so hard at
getting any nutrients at all, it is going to stock pile.  Many people wrote
that exercise helps both curb hunger and helps control the weight gain.

        Most importantly, the general consensus was that, yes, the hunger
will subside, just be patient and give yourself time to recover.

Many thanks to all who responded.  Your comments meant a lot to me.

Matt

Matt Skogmo
Design Engineer, QSC Audio Products INC.
1675 MacArthur Blvd, Costa Mesa, CA 92626