From:
Carol Castellano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 16:49:32 EST

Thanks again to all who responded.

1)  ...what you hear from a manufacturer is worthless for more than a week or
two...the only reasonably reliable indicator is labels, which have the force
of law behind them...apply the common sense test to everything you hear in
the Celiac world...learn to not believe everything you read on line or in
print, and use some judgement regarding the credibility of the source.

2)  I read labels every tim e I buy and eliminate as you do.  I prefer the
confidence of knowng what I eat is OK rather than go for greater variety and
risk.

3)  Definitely check with the manufacturers any time you notice even a slight
change in the packaging.  Especially if the labels get a new look or you see
"New and Improved."

4)  Everytime someone calls to verify information, it is a vote for Celiac
awareness.  While it may not be necessary to call unless there is an apparent
chance in the labeling, it doesn't hurt to call whenever you have a chance...

5)  My take on some of this is that you need to evaluate whether they
(manufacturers) are saying "can't guarantee gf status" because there are some
real issues or whether it's because their lawyer is writing their e-mails...

6)   We try and check every 6 months or so.  You should also check the
labels, (eg.) as wheat was added to many of Lawry's marinades a few yrs ago
according to their labeling...