From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:00:20 -0500

Someone on the CELIAC e-mail list recently received a note threatening
to remove them from the list.  This note was signed as if it had come
from the CELIAC listowners.  We've enclosed it below, with identifying
information removed.  Please be advised that if any of you have received
a similar note, it did NOT come from the CELIAC listowners.  One of the
subscribers took it into his/her own hands to police the list.  That
individual has already received a separate, private note making it clear
that we don't take kindly to being impersonated.

Here is the note which at least one of the CELIAC subscribers received
from an imposter who claimed to be a CELIAC listowner:

> Subject: RE: Post-Unifying Celiac Organizations
>
> Thank you for your concern.
>
> Please do not flame anyone again or we will have you removed from the list.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> The Celiac ListServ(R) Owners

If you ever get a message from a listowner and doubt its authenticity,
forward it with a brief note to [log in to unmask]
You'll receive a reply which includes all or part of your note; that
way you can be sure it really is from one of the CELIAC listowners, and
not from someone else.

The listowners,

Jim Lyles, Bill Elkus, Mike Jones, Lisa Lewis