From:
Tracey Toms <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracey Toms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 2004 13:18:56 -0400

My initial post was to ask about other's experiences while nursing an infant while on the GF diet and if they introduced gluten to the infant at the normal time, waited longer than usual, or never introduced.  I received 21 responses and they are pretty varied.  I appreciate everyone sharing their stories with me and I am hoping this summary will be helpful for the few that mentioned being in a similar situation.

One person pointed me towards http://forums.delphiforums.com/celiac/messages  and through that message board may have further insight into the question.  I looked over the site a little over the holiday weekend and plan to return soon to see what else I can learn.

Two people thought I shouldn't add gluten into his diet because of my background with celiac.

Eight people had/have plans to wait until later in childhood to introduce gluten.  One mother with celiac, said she is currently nursing a child and plans on waiting until that child is over 2 to introduce gluten.  A second mother shared that she nursed and introduced gluten when her child was also 2 and at age 3 1/2 she does not have symptoms.  A third mother said she's waiting until her child is 4.  One person said that she waited until they were weaned to start introducing gluten, and did so slowly, and currently none of her children are testing positive.
One mother does not have celiac, but her toddler does, so with the second child she asked many questions.  She was told by a lactation consultant that gluten does not pass through breast milk [which was later contradicted by another responder] and she should try to hold off introducing gluten with the second child for as long as possible to help prevent celiac developing.  One person described an experience with nursing a child for over a year, introduced wheat and milk products after he was a year old and as a young adult he was tested and the tests for celiac and the test was negative.

One father said they are waiting to introduce gluten until the child is a year, and have it overlap with breastfeeding because of the findings of a Swedish study that seems to feel there was a connection between intoducting gluten while breastfeeding and lowering (or delaying) the development of celiac.

Four people said to introduce gluten in the usual time frame and offered stories of how that has worked for them.

One person said she thought kids could be tested before introduction to gluten to see if they have celiac, or at least, the indications of it in the bloodwork.

One person said that her doctor feels any child with a celiac parent should remain gluten free until they rebel from the diet and then you can tell in their teenage years.

One mother shared her experiences with dairy allergies - nursing and not consuming dairy didn't really seem to make a difference.

Several people mentioned that there were studies available "out there" and I've begun to look for those studies to see what I can learn.  So far, the easiest place to find them has been www.lalecheleague.org and I typed celiac into their search engine and got several hits.  Now I just have to find time to read them all.  I'm also curious to follow up on some information I've found claiming that breastfed babies don't really need any kind of cereal in the beginning (including rice) and that you should just start in on fruits and veggies when starting and add the cereals in later.

Thank you again to everyone who responded.

Tracey