From:
Mike Hayes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 00:41:20 -0500

Happy new year, List Members,

Thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post. I very much
appreciate the support and encouragement received, in the form of
personal stories, advice, excellent suggestions from medical
professionals, general info on CD, even recipies! Briefly, I noted that
I was 1 month GF and asked what should I expect regarding resolution of
my muscle aches, stiffness, and other non GI issues, sometimes annoying
but often debilitating. Responses fell into three domains: Expectations,
interventions, and things to rule out.

Expectations:  Much variability here but the concensus was that most
experienced significant relief from joint/muscle aches and stiffness
after 6 months to a year.  Some felt much better after weeks, some 3
months, 2 after a year, 1 after 15 months.  A few continue to have
problems after many years GF.  The mantra is patience, patience, patience.

Interventions: Lack of nutrients must be addressed,including
supplementation of B vitamins/folic acid.  Calcium, potassium, magnesium
also mentioned.  It is best to have this supervised by a physician
(familiar with CD of course).  Must be patient with this because it
takes time to correct nutrient deficiencies.  One person also noted that
a visit with a chiropractor for tingling and numbness in extremities may
be beneficial. I may do so if my problems persist.  Of course, many
emphasized strict adherence to the GF diet and avoidance of
contamination, one person adding "It takes time to learn to be GF."  The
main thrust of dietary recommendations was to start off simple, with
pure, non GF foods, adding other GF products later.  Avoid eating ou t
if you can. Foods to avoid initially included dairy, balsamic vinegar,
and canola oil, the latter two because of potential contamination.  The
book, "Against the Grain," was recommended as a quide.

Rule outs:  Hypothyroidism overlaps quite a bit with my symptom profile.
It was noted that "normal" thyroid test results may not be normal for
you.  Food allergies other than gluten also may be an issue. Several
suggested keeping a detailed diary of what you eat to help pinpoint
problems.  Leaky gut was also mentioned - protocol for most is L-
glutamine, digestive enzymes, probiotics, and dietary changes (lots of
info in the archives about this).  Parasites, yeast overgrowth, and
candida were also listed as potential problem sources.  Lastly, 1 person
mentioned old age.  I thought this was amusing but then I realized that
it's been over 5 years since I have felt well.  I really don't know what
being a healthy 45 year old feels like. I sincerely hope its better than this.

Again, thanks for your kindness and support. All of your comments and
suggestions were excellent and will be helpful now or in the future.
Hopefully, I will be able to return the favor.

Mike H