From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Mar 1999 09:59:17 EST

EVERYTHING FOR PASSOVER IS NOT GLUTEN FREE!

Sorry for responding every time I see this question on our list. I'm worried
that  question keeps coming up. Someone is going to get sick!

Matzah is wheat and water.
Matzah farfel is crushed matzah, into little pieces.
Matzah meal is crushed matzah, into tinier pieces.
Cake meal is crushed matzah, akin to corn meal consistency or alittle coarser.

They all serve a purpose, in different recipes, but they're all wheat. (Unless
you special order the oat matzah that has recently been discussed on our
list.)

I also confirmed that if you see, "No G-brochts" on a Passover product
(spelling may vary), it means there are no matzah products, i.e.no wheat, in
the product. It would be gluten-free.

The excitement over Passover among non-Jewish celiacs should be the fact that
the foods are clearly labeled, not that they are gluten-free.

I also recommend seeking out Passover cookbooks or Jewish/Kosher cookbooks
that have a lengthy Passover chapters. The more religious the author, the more
likely there will be a g-brochts section and the rest will be matzah-free
(gf.) I especially like, The Spice and Spirit of Kosher Passover Cooking,
available from the Lubavitch Women's Cookbook, 852 Eastern Parkway, Brooklyn ,
NY 11213. Phone (not on Friday night or Saturday) 718-771-3663.  In 1995, it
cost me $12.95 plus shipping. There are 50 pages of gf recipes! G-brochts
(gluten/matzah) recipes are in a separate chapter at the end of the book.
This book might be a problem for anyone allergic to eggs.
Just so you won't be surprised if you order the book: The book is not intended
to convert or preach, but it is written by and for very religious, Jewish
women, so does contain kitchen instructions for the homemaker who is most
likely to buy the book. Just follow the recipes as you would from any other
cookbook and consider the rest interesting reading if it does not apply to
you.
I'm not trying to push the sales of the book, nor do I fund-raise for the
Lubavitcher movement. I just discovered, when I had to look something up, that
the book has many great-sounding recipes, which are clearly gluten-free. I
haven't tried them lately, but I intend to pick up a few more boxes of potato
starch, a few dozen eggs...and go to it. Enjoy. Linda