From:
ER Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ER Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:28:52 -0500

Thanks to all of you who took the time to answer my question about Quaker Rice
Cakes.  I had a total of 30 responses, and found a wide variety of answers and
opinions on the pros and cons of Kellogg products.

A total of 13 listmates said they had very little, or absolutely no problems with
the Kellogg products, including several varieties of the coated brands. Other
listmates had varying degrees of problems, ranging from minor to serious.

Other listmate comments:  l) We eat Popcorn ones, but I wonder if they're safe.
2)  I eat Lundberg Rice Cakes.  They don't have extra calories found in sugar and
caramel.  3) Pathmark Caramel Corn Rice Cakes are GF.  4) I discovered Corn
Thins at Whole Foods and gave up Rice Cakes. They are wonderful and less
expensive.  5) I don't eat the ones with malt flavoring.  Others are o.k.  6) Have
eaten them w/o trouble,  can't say I like them.  7)  Cracker Jack Rice Cakes are
not GF, but others were.  Also, all Quaker flavors were GF except barbecue ones
8) Rice Cakes were ok, but had a reaction w/Caramel ones and probably won't
eat Caramel again.  9)  Quaker Rice and Caramel are ok.  Suggest you try
Mothers Brand Rice and Corn Chips. 10) Stopped Rice Cakes - fear of cross
contamination and switched to Rice Thins for age 9 and l3 celiac kids.  11) Gave
up on Quaker Rice Cakes after eating Caramel Rice Cakes - probably cross
contamination.  12)  Caramel, Cheddar and Chocolate gave me no problems.

One listmate says that mainly her three children use the Cinn/Apple and Caramel
Rice Cakes for almost everything. She serves her children the following:
Cereal:  broken up and served with milk
Cheese melts: strips of Colby  jack place over each cake.  Microwave for 2 mins.
on 30% power.  PB&J: just spread pb on top since the cakes are sweet no jelly
is needed but can be added.  We also use different nut butters for variety.  As
dipping chips, we have used the smaller snack size rice cakes as well.

Another listmate says:  Their statement about storage of grains is new to me  I
called them probably about two years ago and was told basically the same thing
you were - that they are gluten free (except for maybe one that had malt in the
ingredients) and they did not mention the grain part.  I'm guessing with the celiac
community moving away from oats due to storage and harvesting issues, they
are probably being very careful.

One listmate has been terribly glutened by the rice cakes and rice snacks.  She
says she will never eat anything Quaker again.  Says it's not worth the chance.
They told her once they were GF, but when she called back, they said they would
NOT guarantee that Quaker products didn't have major cross contamination
problems,  so, you'd have to make up your own mind and take your chances, like
Fritos, etc.

This listmate says she won't touch Quaker products.  She says they make too
many gluten containing products and the risk of cross contamination is rampart.
She eats Lundberg rice cakes.  They grow only rice and produce only rice.  They
have caramel rice cakes too as well as more flavors than you can believe.

Another listmate also prefers the Lundberg Rice Cakes made with brown rice.
She suggests going to www.lundberg.com to get information about their products
and they also have celiac information on this website.

To those of you who gave other alternatives instead of Rice cakes was very
helpful and more healthy too.  It is always so exciting to know there are other
foods out there for us to eat.  You are indeed a very wonderful and helpful group.

Betty in TN