From:
Nick Walton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 23:03:54 EST

Dear List mates:

    I was overwhelmed with the response to my question asking how my son
would find food while he is on a student exchange to Denmark.  Everyone was
extremely helpful.

 Several told me of their experiences in Denmark and indicated that they
found the Danish very knowledgeable about celiac disease and very helpful.
Most agreed that the most Danes are aware of the disease and that many
grocers and even some bakeries stock GF products.  You just have to ask.

           One person offered to translate the information my son would need
to show a restaurant or store so that they would understand his condition.

    Others alerted me to several great web sites including:
www.coeliaki.dk ; www.diabetesforeningen.dk/tidsskrift/2001/03/a6.htm;
www.madogsundhed.dk/artikl

er/a0000338.htm; and an e mail address  [log in to unmask] which was
informative. One site offered a detailed explanation of the disease in
Danish.

    One person explained that the Danes have GF+ and GF.  In GF most of the
gluten is taken away.  This seems to work for many Celiacs I was told.

Polsers(hot dogs) are GF and are sold everywhere, even from street vendors.
One respondent found a pizza place that offered an alternate GF pizza shell
cooked in a separate oven. Even some MacDonald's have GF buns!

Some grocery stores carry gf bread and some hotels will make it for you if
you ask. Super Brugsen is the name of one store where you can purchase GFRI
bread.  They sell GF flour and a few GF products as well.

    As a word of warninga | I was informed that the word corn in Danish means
wheat, so be careful.  Corn is called maiz.

    Cheeses, fruits,eggs, and vegetables are readily available and it is
simple to put together a GF meal for yourself.

The main message seemed to be that it is very possible to maintain a GF diet
in Denmark. You need to inform grocers, stores, hosts, and hotels of your
condition and they are usually accommodating. Only one person indicated that
she had difficulty and had to restrict herself to rice crackers.

I appreciate all the responses.  Martha