From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Jun 1995 07:35:28 -0400

On 6/25/95, Linda Blanchard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ... but every time I ingest even the tiniest bit of wheat, I react and
> quickly ...

I have also not been biopsied. When I accidentally consume gluten I get
steatorrhea with a speed and intensity that is directly related to the
amount consumed. I would *never* subject my body to a gluten challenge just
so I can be officially diagnosed. The biggest downside I see, as Linda
pointed out, is not being considered a celiac by the medical profession. For
example, the Celiac Disease Foundation will not let me participate in their
current survey (though when the Canadian Celiac Association did their's a
few years back, they did let the non-biopsied participate - they just put
them in a separate category).

Actually, I can tell when I have food that is gluten contaminated within a
few minutes. Despite starting the meal hungry, I get a full feeling, and
have to force myself if I want to finish the meal. This seems to be the only
way the stomach can try to tell the brain to stop.

Don <[log in to unmask]> New York City