From:
Debbie Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Debbie Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 May 2005 06:40:23 -0500

My son is home from his first year at college.  He has been a Celiac for 9
years and has good compliance with his diet as he reacts quickly and
strongly to significant amounts of gluten.  He has been eating in the
dining hall.  He began having some mild intestinal symptoms this Spring and
noticed he felt better when he was home on the weekends.  We had a celiac
panel drawn as soon as he got home.  His endomysial, IGG gliadin, and
reticulin antibodies were negative but his IGA gliadin was positive.  When
he was diagnosed years ago all the antibodies were positive.  Does anyone
know if this would point to small gluten exposure?  Lab One did the blood
tests and did the endomysial test but not the TTG.  Wondered why since I
thought the TTG was more accurate and is less dependent on the individual
teste
r.

My son asked if it's possible to make some antibodies and have no damage to
the intestine?  Anyone have any experience with these antibody tests as a
follow up?  Does anyone know which antibodies are likely to show up as a
first response to gluten exposure?

Thank you.