From:
Kathleen Estes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:44:52 EST

 Crisco is GF   according to everyone

You can substitute at least part of it with butter depending on what you're
making.

 For those of us who have to eat soy and dairy free, I substitute coconut oil
(like shortening) or lard.  But, that also adds a lot of fat.

 Crisco is gf by the way.  But as a matter of fact, I do replace shortening
with margarine because I think it tastes better...I use the exact same
amount called for in the recipe.

 there is a coconut oil one in health food stores.   I use Smart Balance
spread, and add 1/3 C. lethicin
and/or ground flax seed

 I use Spectrum Organic shortening which is made from palm oil instead of soy
and is trans fat free.   I might also try coconut oil depending on the
recipe.

Butter.                           I use Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil from
www.tropicaltraditions.com

 I don't use shortening any more due to issues of transfats.    Usually I
substitute butter (the real thing) or coconut oil.  I used it in a piecrust a
couple of days ago.  I melted it since it is so hard to break up.  Then let it
sit for awhile until it starts to become solid again.  Coconut oil melts above
76 degrees and is solid below that point.  You don't want to add it as a liquid
or do so very slowly.

 Margarine or butter can take the place of shortening.  Sometimes applesauce
can be used but it would be a good idea to check some recipes that make the
substitution so you get an idea of how to do it.
 You can use cooking oil also but that involves reducing the liquid a little.
 Canola oil is not supposed to be absorbed by the body so you do not have it
count it as a fat but it does cause diarrhea in some people.  It does not in
me but did in my non-celiac mother-in-law.
 And if applesauce can be used why can't bananas?

 I use the Willow Run margarine, it is soy based and usually found in
the natural section of the dairy case.