From:
Larry Pavlock <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Pavlock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2003 06:35:48 -0500

First off, thanks to all of the list subscribers who took the time to share their thoughts
and ideas on my question of "diet and vitamins, among other things to aid in the increasing
aches and pains I am getting."  It was amazing seeing all of the replies, my In Box is full!

Here is a sampling of the replies:
I have similar problems with muscle aches in neck, shoulders and back.  I
found that I'm allergic to several foods besides gluten and have eliminated
them with good results.  My muscle aches have significantly decreased.
Are you getting the raw materials for good joint health?  Gelatin,
glucosamine, chondroitin, calcium... chicken cartilage is know to help with
even serious cases of arthritis.
I've found I get aches & pains from eating potatoes and things made w/ potato starch.
I do best when I limit these.  I can still tell when I have an rare encounter w/ a baked
potato when we go out to eat.
I believe that rheb. arthritis is fairly common with celiac disease no matter the age
of the individual.
you might want to look at TwinLab Allergy Multi Caps (for Allergic &
Chemically Hypersensitive individuals).  it is a multi-vitamin,
multi-mineral in a large capsule, and I think as 'clean' as they get.
I have permanent adrenal damage as the result of CD, and take
cortisol. I have noticed that when I do not get enough cortisol, (or
when I forget to take it) I develop arthritis pain in my joints.
The pain comes on quickly when I have not had enough, and disappears
quickly (within a few minutes) when I take the cortisol.
Calcium!
My husband has CD and also had osteopenia which is now resolved.  He is
almost 62 years old.  He has been having severe lower back pain of late and
his MRI and visit to neurosurgeon said that he should have surgery to
rebuild that part of his back.  He has a narrow channel where the nerves
pass thru and they were inflamed and being pinched so they couldn't get
better.  He was just not sure about the surgery, so we decided to try
Zyflamend by New Chapter (gelcaps full of natural inflammatories).
Best natural products include pomegranate juice (100%,
cherry juice, Moducare, and glucosamine.  At health food stores
Omega Brite is an Omega-3 supplement (fish oil) and Natural Calm a magnesium
supplement taken in the evening have helped my arthritis.
www.naturalcalm.org  I have no financial connection with either product.
I think the gluten free diet is probably keeping your pains from being
worse. Yoga and swimming help my knees and back pain. Also I take 1000 mg
Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc. I use Member's Mark (Sams Club) or Puritan's
Pride. (Reasonable in price and gluten free). I also take  Shiff Vitamins
Glucosamine 500 mg but plan to up the dosage to 1500 mg a day.
Schiffvitamins are also gluten free. Exercise will help when you are able to
exercise.
Ironically the same thing happened to me at 41...turned out it was stress.
I skipped all the prescriptions and just fulfilled my physical therapy.  All
I need to do to keep it away is work out, great stress reliever and the
muscles relaxed.  Now I am 48 and recognize the symptoms....usually when the
in-laws come visit, heehee.

Larry