From:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Notte Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 2004 13:33:17 -0500

Hello listmates,

Below is a summary of the 19 replies I received. Thank you very much to all who replied. The experiences were varied as you will read. Some people were consumers like myself and either purchased or attempted to purchase life insurance. A couple of people who replied either work or know someone in the insurance industry. In addition to all the replies, many people requested a summary of the information that were in a similar situation as myself or just wanted the knowledge. The replies below are in no particular order. Thank you again to all. This list serv is great!

In addition to the replies, I surfed around on the Internet and found this web site: http://www.mib.com. I believe this is where insurance companies get their (medical) information on individuals before making a decision to insure or not. As an individual, you can request your own MIB report for a fee of $9.00 or you can request it for free if you get denied coverage. I have no financial interest in this company or any insurance companies. Just trying to be an informed consumer who is trying to save a couple of bucks on my insurance premiums.

Here goes the summary:

1. I needed life insurance after being diagnosed with CD.  I had to fill out a questionnaire, which asked about diseases.  Instead of an excellent rating, I was put in the average category.

I went through an insurance broker, who said that it is getting harder to get the higher rating.  She mentioned that she was trying to find insurance for a woman, who while going through a divorce took an antidepressant (paxil or something).  The companies did not want to insure her since she had been treated for "depression".

2. the blood test is  a general chem or cbc.. nothing shows unless you have anemia, kidney problems, liver etc. .which you won't. If you have to say anything just say allergy..wheat

3. I recently changed my life insurance --after being diagnosed with CD. The new policy required a blood test (for cholesterol levels, drugs, HIV, etc.). My test results were great, but I ended up getting the standard NOT the preferred rate because of having CD. Ironically, I have many health challenges, because of a serious traumatic motor vehicle accident. But the insurance company didn't even consider the car accident.

When I questioned the higher premium, I was told that their records showed a slightly increased risk of health problems for people with CD -- ergo the poorer rate. Oh well.

4. I am a medical insurance examiner.  Yes, I am the one who comes to your home to do your life insurance physical.   I do not know much about the insurance business but I can tell you some things that might help you. The things insurance companies test for are:

HIV,  cholesterol and related lipids and fats, liver and kidney disorders, diabetes, hepatitis, immune disorders PSA (for men), nicotine, certain prescription drugs and drugs of abuse.

They do not test for CD specifically however I did have a client who had CD and  had been having elevated liver enzymes for several years and had gotten turned down previously.   It was right around that time she was dx with CD and after being GF for several years she re applied and was accepted.

Now, as far as medical history:  Not all companies require medical exams nor

do all companies request your medical records.   It depends on the company  you apply with , your age, the amount you apply for etc....as to what determines the requirements .    I do know that MOST companies will get your medical records.

5. I worked for an insurance company for nearly 20 years.  Each company has their own application for life insurance and they ask different questions. If you are considering another life insurance policy with the same company, you can look in the back of your present insurance policy for a copy of the application and it will tell you exactly what questions that you will have to answer.  I know that ours did not ask specifically about celiac disease, but I think there was a question about any other diseases not mentioned.

One thing for sure, I would definitely not cancel what I presently have before getting another policy in place.  Another thing, if you apply for a policy and are rated or declined, you will have to explain that on any other applications that you fill out in the future as there is a question about "Have you ever been rated or declined?"  Another thought would be to have the agent submit a life insurance inquiry for you.  That is not a formal application and you could get an idea if they would insure you or not and what they would offer as far as a rating.

You may be better off to keep what you have and then convert it to whole life as soon as you can afford it.   That would stop the premiums from increasing any further anyway. I hope that my thoughts have been helpful.

6. If you have to fill out a questionnaire about your health you can forget getting a new policy.  Been through this twice and turned down both times.  I am not considered insurable at all.  I wish you better luck than I had.