Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1999 07:18:09 -0800

i recently posted a question about eating cheese if i find i need to avoid
milk products because it may affect those with bipolar disorder. the jury
is still out regarding the relationship between milk products and
depression and/or bipolar disorder, but if i need to avoid milk products,
enzymes are not the issue. hard cheese is probably okay, but otherwise i
should avoid ALL milk products.

my next move will be to eliminate milk products from my diet for a few
months to see if i notice any difference.

below are some of the comments i received.
joanna
------------
Milk is milk. The issue is proteins, and has nothing to do with enzymes.
The most problematic protein, casein, is in a higher concentration in
cheese that in other dairy products.

some medications do not combine well with dairy protein - your doctor or
Physician's desk reference should explain that clearly.

To learn more about avoiding dairy you can see my link page at
www.nomilk.com and join the No-Milk mailing, also on maelstrom.

dairy products contain casein which I believe is a protein to which some
folks and most celiacs are  intolerant.

I recently did some research into Autism in kids and it was found that
gluten and casein proteins were found in the urine of these children, and
will cross right over into the neurological and nervous systems.

my MD - and he is more on the natural food side - told me to avoid
everything from cow: milk + meet and products thereof. His main argument
are the arachidonic acids which proliferate inflammation reactions.
Arachidonic acid is also a lot in thuna,
in eggs and in pork meet, which also should better be avoided.

The CSA cooperative gluten-free commercial products listing 4th edition
page 22 has a note on cheeses stating that most natural cheeses (hard
cheeses) have very little if any lactose.

Yes, cheese is considered milk, we have had milk allergies for years and
sorry but there is no doubt that cheese is included!

I would like to propose an action that will help you answer the question
for yourself: give up ALL dairy for 4-6 weeks.

Milk and cheese products have several problems. Major problem is the growth
hormones naturally present in milk.  It is food for a calf that is going to
put on close to a thousand lbs in a matter of months.  those hormones have
been found to be a trigger for various human cancers, esp breast.