From:
The Taylors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2001 21:34:11 -0400

All,

I'm sure much of this has been addressed before but I am finding myself
somewhat confused and overwhelmed.

I was diagnosed with CD as a young child; however, at that time my mother
(and then I) was only given partial information about the diet.  I do not
eat things containing Wheat, barley, oats, rye, spelt, amaranth, etc.  I
know about malt flavoring and barley malt; however, in the last several
weeks, since I have been subscribing to this list, there are a lot more
things that I apparantly should be avoiding.  So, my questions are:
In the following list, what makes these things not gluten-free?
Are they always not gluten-free or does it depend on what type the
manufacturer uses?

What questions should I be asking manufacturers?

Are there other sources of hidden gluten that I have not mentioned?

carmel coloring MSG sodium casseinate (sp?) modified food starch natural
flavoring natural coloring artificial flavors and colors (not sure if
this should be on the list) hydrolyzed vegetable protein

Also, I am not a very sensitive celiac.  If these things don't give me a
reaction, do I need to worry about them?

Thank you so much for your time.  I will summarize when I get a chance.

-Krista