From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2007 03:42:19 -0400

I wrote to the list earlier asking for gf steroid pills (prednisone, something similar), but besides needing an answer to that, I realized there is a bigger problem here.

In a nutshell, I went to the ER tonight for asthma and had to turn down the pills (prednisone) they wanted to give me because the pharmacy couldn't say if they were gluten-free or not. They made no attempt to provide an alternative,, just said, "You refused the prednisone."  (Wonder how that will effect my insurance claim!)

I still don't know for sure if the inhaled meds that the respiratory therapist gave me are gf, but I had no choice there...and all they kept saying is that it's the same as the albuterol inhaler that I use. You and I know that that ain't necessarily so...but I couldn't convince them. (I really had no choice about the inhaler, but I asked for an injection form of the steroid.)

This has larger ramifications. We shouldn't have to chose between celiac and other ailments that take us to hospitals, especially in ER's where we don't have time to do research before leaving the house.

I'm writing to the list to hear solutions to this dilemma, please. How did you handle it and succeed? While we're busy dancing over having gluten-free beer, is anyone fighting for gf-awareness in hospital and nursing home pharmacies?????

Yes, I had my gf lists (www.glutenfreedrugs.com and Stokes Pharmacy guide) with me, but no one was interested in them, and those lists do not have the run-of-the-mill generics on them. And yes, my husband was there to speak for me. But this whole scenario shouldn't have happened.

Don't tell me to go to another hospital. I have no guarantee another hospital pharmacy would be more informed, and this hospital is one that we otherwise respect.

Thanks. Linda

*******
*******