From:
Amy McGovern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:13:47 -0500

Thanks to all who responded to my posts about quick GF meals.  I
received about 60 responses which are summarized below.  Hope this
helps others as well!

-Amy, N3ZTY

Restaurant ideas:

   Wendy's chili, other items: http://www.wendys.com/the_menu/
   Machaca and corn tortillas (Mexican)

Snacks:

   Apples and cheese
   Dry and fresh fruits
   Apple, Banana, with GF peanut butter and raisins

Salads:

   Salad topped with tuna or canned salmon
   Jello salad, marinated salad

Made in advance and frozen:

   Any of your favorite foods
   Chicken soup
   Stuffed peppers
   Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes, rice noodles, rice meatballs,
     stuffed cabbage rolls, chili with rice, lentil soup, cottage pie
     (hamburger, veggies & gravy w/ a potato topping)
   Spaghetti sauce
   Cooked chicken, pork, and beef in freezer makes for fast tacos,
     Thai, etc
   Casseroles, bean dishes, homemade soups

Easy to cook:

   Baked potatoes Scrambled eggs Tortillas with cheese, pizza sauce,
refried beans, taco meat, Apple butter Stir fry with rice Pizza
Smoothie: frozen fruits, yogurt, OJ

   Our quick meal is chicken strips fried in 2 tbs olive oil -
     sprinkled with McCormick brand Garlic Salt and Sage.... that's it,
     and it is Absolutely great! So great we sometimes skip the veggies
     and just have fresh fruit. My 4 yr old daughter and I dip the
     chicken in basalmic vinegar or GF sour cream - depending on our
     mood.  Christie in St. Louis

Pre-made meals from grocery:

   Taste of Thai:  Marked GF.  Pad Thai, curry noodles
     Can keep frozen cooked chicken in freezer and quickly add to above
   Green giant sweet and sour chicken (check ingredients)
   Amy's Kitchen: Organic Asian Noodle Stir Fry, Shephard's Pie, Bean
Enchilada
   Trader Joe's has a GF list
   Dinty Moore brand Beef Stew
   Hormel Chili, Hormel Chili with Beans
   Mary's Kitchen Hash
   Boar's Head cold cuts
   Almond Butter and Rice Crackers from Whole Foods
   Rice Milk and NU PLUS by Sunrider and a banana--blended from Whole Foods
   Organic pecans, almonds, walnuts (no peanuts)
   Rice lowfat cream cheese on Rice crackers
   Millet bread toasted w/honey (Millet is not on CSA's GF list...)
   1 can of Organic Great Northern Beans by WESTBRAE
   Chunk Light TONGOL TUNA packed in Spring Water--mixed with lettuce
     and Safflower Mayo
   Macariz macaroni & cheese
   Check GF list - some of Lipton's cup of soup are GF

Internet solutions:

   www.Glutensolutions.com - ask for Bryan if you call.  Alpine
     Aire makes a line called Gluten Free Cafe.  Also available at REI.

   www.glutenfreemall.com - also sells Gluten Free Cafe

   www.tastybite.com - Indian food called Tasty Bites
   Gluten Free Pantry carries Tamarind Indian meals (spicy)

   www.glutenfreeda.com

   www.thaikitchen.com - Thai Kitchen (800) 967-THAI makes GF instant
   rice noodle soups, put in a bowl and add boiling water.

Mail-order solutions:

   Dietary specialties (888) menu-123: shells and ravioli, Also
   orderable from Menu direct.  Chicken Lo Mein, frozen pizza, ravioli,
   stuffed shells with and without sauce

   Ethnic Gourmet Foods (508) 875-6457.  Will fax a list of frozen
   entrees.  They have Thai and Indian - check for spiciness levels.

   Amy's Kitchen Inc.  (707) 578-7188, FAX: (707) 578-7995.  Frozen
   meals, pasta sauces, chili, soups.  2330 North Point Parkway, Santa
   Rosa CA 95407, also at PO Box 7868
   Amy's New Gluten Free List as of 11/29/00
   Shepard's Pie
   Mexican Tamale Pie
   Cheese Enchiladas
   Black Bean Enchiladas
   Cheese Enchilada Whole Meal
   Black Bean Enchilada Whole Meal
   Asian Noodle Stir-Fry
   Thai Stir-Fry
   Teriyaki Stir-Fry (Skillet Meal)
   Lentil Soup
   Cream of Tomato Soup
   Black Bean Vegetable Soup
   Split Pea Soup
   Spicy Chili
   Medium Chili
   Chili with Vegetables
   Tomato Basil Sauce
   Family Marinara Pasta Sauce
   Garlic Mushroom Pasta Sauce

   Fantastic Foods Inc. in Petaluma, CA makes meals in a cup - just
   add boiling water.

   Foods by George in NJ (201) 612-9700: 3 King Street Mahwah,NJ 07430
   Frozen lasagna, pizza, frozen stuffed shells, chocolate chip
   cookies, manicotti

Recipes:

when i feel like doing nothing, i make uncle Ben's rice in the
microwave. takes 5 minutes to cook. 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of
rice. i take fresh asparagus, preheat my stove or toaster oven to 400
degrees. i then rinse the asparagus and cut the last inch or more
off. i then lay them on a cookie sheet type pan and spray with olive
oil (i have a misto, but you can use Pam bottled sprays etc or brush
on some oil) i then sprinkle on some sea salt and coarse ground
pepper, i then place in the oven for 10 minutes. after 10 minutes, if
they are still not done, i toss them around and cook for another 5
minutes. the thin variety will be done in 10 minutes.

i own a pressure cooker that is a BOON for fast cooking! i can have
mashed real potatoes in less than 15 minutes TOTAL prep and cook time!
just scrub potatoes, cut into cubes, put into cooker add 1/4 cup water
then bring to high pressure for 6 minutes. quick release method, add
some butter/margarine, then mash... voila!  for the to die for version
add a clove or two of garlic.

the pressure cooker can make any soup/stew/chowder from scratch in less than
15 minutes. so i do this a lot when i am tired to cook. most work to do is
to cut up any veggies. but you can buy frozen or pre-cut if you need too! if
you have a pressure cooker, let me know, i will send my favorite recipes.
chicken and rice with veggies in 10 minutes of pressure cooking. a couple
minutes to throw in chicken, garlic clove, salt and pepper and cut some
veggies. add rice for last 2 minutes if using instant otherwise add real rice
at the beginning and be sure to add same amt of liquid either stock or
water(but you can buy celery and carrots already cut up to save some time)

if you want a pressure cooker. try www.qvc.com they have several brands. i
own the cooks essentials (both stove top and automatic plug in style)
you can use them for 30 days and if they are not your thing, you can send
them back for a FULL refund. so they are no hassle when wanting to
experiment!

sorry about the ad.. but the pressure cooker saved my life and tastes so
much better than a crock pot, but that would be my final solution to your
problem. get it ready to go BEFORE you go to work then have it waiting for
you when you return. (i freak over fire issues and the fact food will sit
that long as far as bacteria, but many people do this! and i guess they
would have been pulled from the shelves by now if they were not!)

waffle heaven brand GF blueberry waffles are pretty good. those you just
toast like bread. but i do not call that dinner myself!

i like to make nachos for a quick junk type of dinner. shredded Monterrey
jack, medium cheddar, with some roasted green chilies and maybe some canned
crab meat on it. then after a minute in the microwave i add some chopped green
onions and black olives. if i have a ripe avocado i slice it and eat it with
the nachos.

stir fry is also fast providing you have no cutting to do and get things
pre-sliced. but i can not find a soy sauce that does not give my issues so
far.. so i have not been stir frying at all.

good luck! rice is my main quick deal with buddig ham and some cheese rolled
up and some fresh roasted asparagus! YUM simple, but no way i get sick from
it like attempting some fast food joint for fries. yuck. and you get some
veggies, starches and proteins with this meal.

Michele in Colorado

___________________________

Yeast Pizza Crust
Lieven

       2 c. rice flour
       1 pkg. Red Star yeast
       2 tsp. xanthan gum
       1 tsp. sugar
       1/2-1 tsp. salt
       2 Tbs. vegetable oil
       1 1/3 c. very warm water

Mix dry ingredients.  Add water & oil, mix well. (Dough should be
GOOEY!)  Pat onto "Pam-ed" pizza pan. Bake at 425 M-: for 10
min. Remove from pan & bake on pizza screen 5-10 minutes to crisp
crust.  Remove from oven & top w/ favorites.

Return to oven & bake until done.  OR, cool & freeze (topped or as a crust
alone) for later use.

(Microwave variation for freezing: Shape dough into 6" rounds.  Cook as
above but cook on rack until crusts are browned.  Cool, top , & freeze
in zip lock bags. Microwave to reheat toppings & melt cheese Bev in Milwaukee