From:
Mark Kermode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 1995 13:27:55 +0000

In the "Independent" (a reputable UK newspaper) last Wednesday
(July 12), there was an article on rheumatoid arthritis and diet:
"Out went pizzas and pasta - and with them, the pain"
It reported, with one example, on the current research by Dr Gail
Darlington, consultant physician at Epsom Health Care NHS trust.
Also, the article states

<<
Doctors in Norway have recently conducted a scientifically controlled
study.. Two groups of patients were compared over a year. One group
ate a normal diet and another ate a gluten-free, vegan diet for the
first five months. Other foods were gradually introduced on a trial
basis: if they caused problems, they were dropped again. The results,
which were published in the Lancet, showed that the second group
had considerably reduced symptoms at the end of the study.

I am curious to know whether there are many celiacs reading this who
suffer badly with rheumatoid arthritis.  I am interested because I
am on a gluten free diet (DH) and do not suffer from rheumatoid arthritis,
but some close relatives not on the diet DO suffer.

Many thanks,
Mark Kermode,  Liverpool UK (birthplace of the BEATLES).