From:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Betsy Bowman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jul 2004 19:13:28 -0500

Listmates:

There was a summary post (dated 7/25/04) on Tupperware which included
a "suggestion on using CorningWare to store food due to American
Cancer Society's recommendation on not cooking or storing food in
plastic."  THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION OF THE AMERICAN CANCER
SOCIETY (ACS).  You can cook and store food in plastics that are
manufactured for the designated purpose specified by the manufacturer
and follow the guidelines given.  See the ACS response at the end of
the message, which includes the FDA recommendations.

I checked with ACS to see if they had such a recommendation.  My
reason was that I just gotten a similar e-mail two week's ago.  My
forwarded message was from a relative and said that plastics should
not be used for food storage and cooking and recommended the use of
Corning Ware.  I went to one source mentioned in the forwarded
e-mail.   The information did not originate at the source contacted
and my contact indicated that the toxin information given in my
message was not true.  This is an Internet rumor/hoax.  It usually
quotes an "expert" and reliable sources for the information, as a
specific university, medical center, and/or "expert."  The message
says that a chemical, or chemicals, from the plastic containers get
into the food and causes cancer.  Some form of this Internet
rumor/hoax have been circulating for 2 1/2 years.

Betsy
Austin, Texas

THE ACS RESPONSE to the question about there being an ACS
recommendation on not cooking or storing foods in plastic is "pasted"
below as received on 7/27/2004:

  While the Society does not offer such a recommendation, we can
provide information on the FDA's recommendation. The Food and Drug
Administration has found the currently approved food packaging
plastics to be safe, primarily because only trivial amounts of
chemicals transfer to food.

Plastics intended for food packaging are tested to determine if
chemicals transfer or migrate to foods under heat, and if these
chemicals are dangerous to humans.  The results of testing are then
reviewed by the FDA, which develops regulations regarding chemicals
that are permitted for use in contact with food.  The FDA continues
to study the migration levels of certain food packaging materials
into food and will take additional action should the results indicate
potential health risks.

Because food packaging is tested for container's intended use, the
following guidelines are recommended by the US Department of
Agriculture Food Safety and Inspection Service:

>   Only use cookware that is specially made for use in the microwave
>oven.  You might want to check your glass, ceramic, and plastics
>containers for a microwave-safe label.

>   Plastic storage containers such as margarine tubs, take-out
>containers, whipped-topping bowls, and other one-time use containers
>should not be used in microwave ovens.  These containers can warp or
>melt, possibly causing harmful chemicals to migrate into food.

>   Microwave plastic wraps, wax paper, cooking bags, parchment paper,
>and white microwave-safe paper towels should be safe to use;
>however, do not allow plastic wrap to touch foods while microwaving.

>   Never use thin plastic storage bags, brown paper or plastic
>grocery bags, newspapers, or aluminum foil in microwave ovens.

Since you inquired about food safety in your message, perhaps you
would be interested in visiting our "Food and Fitness" web page at
http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/ped_3.asp?sitearea=PED. This page
contains information on healthy cooking, physical activity, and the
power of fruits and vegetables.

Please reply to this message if you have further questions about
nutrition for cancer prevention or for cancer patients or if you have
questions about our programs for cancer prevention or for patients.
Your reply will receive priority.

This e-mail message is not intended as medical advice, and should not
be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with qualified
health professionals who are familiar with your individual medical
needs. The American Cancer Society makes no warranties of any kind
regarding this e-mail message, including but not limited to any
warranty of accuracy, completeness, currency, reliability,
merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose and such
warranties are expressly disclaimed.