From:
Joanne Hinton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joanne Hinton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:22:43 -0700

So after reading the post about how awful Subway is, I just wanted to chime in with a different view of Subway. Here in the DFW region, the Subway franchises were actually test marketing a gluten-free bun for our sandwiches. I went in several times last year to get one and was completely impressed by how well they took care of me. They changed gloves. The bun came pre-sealed and was cut with a new plastic knife, unwrapped right in front of me. I ordered a toasted sandwich once and they (this was mind boggling) put on a 2nd set of gloves (over the first) to pull the toaster shelf out of the toaster and used a paper on top of the toaster rack. After toasting they pulled the 2nd set of gloves back off to continue making my sandwich. To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of Subway and didn't think the bread was that great (it was great they had an option but it was REALLY dry).  But I was impressed they were even trying. They also had a GF brownie for sale to go
 with it.

I'm not sure if they are still doing this test run. I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't. When I talked to a Subway guy at the Dallas GF food expo back in October, they really weren't getting enough business necessary to make the special buns financially feasible. Even though they were wrapped, I think he said they only had a shelf life of maybe a week.

And a quick google search tells me that in February 2012 they still were doing GF bun testing and had actually expanded the market they were testing it out in: http://glutenfreeville.com/research/subway-2.  So while they may have changed their policies on one aspect of their ordering process (and was this a Subway across the board thing because I thought the franchises had some autonomy and it could be just the franchise that was visited), they do seem to be trying to accommodate us and honestly that's more than I'd ever expect from a restaurant that is specifically offering sandwiches.

Joanne
Fort Worth